2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear gate release

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM
nicholsm is on a distinguished road
Default Rear gate release

I have a '99 Blazer zr2 and the button to release the rear gate/window is no longer working. I've received great help on this forum for any problem with my blazer that I've had and so I felt confident to post my new problem. Is there a fuse for this that I should check prior to taking the inside panel/moulding off and replace the whole button? Is there a relay or anything? I have no idea how to get it to open without the button working. So is there anything on the inside of the door that would allow me to open it? Granted, it'd be a pain to climb in the front door and crawl to the back, but if that's an option until I get it rectified then so be it. Thanks in advance and hope anyone who reads this has a wonderful day.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Beginning Member
rntbuck is on a distinguished road

the button on the dash has quit, or the one on the tailgate itself?

my dash button works good, but the one on the gate itself has quit, however, ill be replacing it soon....https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-button-71948/

Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nicholsm
I have a '99 Blazer zr2 and the button to release the rear gate/window is no longer working. I've received great help on this forum for any problem with my blazer that I've had and so I felt confident to post my new problem. Is there a fuse for this that I should check prior to taking the inside panel/moulding off and replace the whole button? Is there a relay or anything? I have no idea how to get it to open without the button working. So is there anything on the inside of the door that would allow me to open it? Granted, it'd be a pain to climb in the front door and crawl to the back, but if that's an option until I get it rectified then so be it. Thanks in advance and hope anyone who reads this has a wonderful day.
By all means be sure to check all fuses first....easy things first.

Do you have a remote fob that unlocks the doors including the rear hatch? As far as the dash button, you could probably take it out, disconnect the electrical connector and then short across the connector to see if the hatch release is working before putting a new button assembly in. This will tell you if the release is working at all.

And to open the rear hatch, there should be a small access hole under the carpet that will allow you to push the release lever. Best to do a search for this as there are pictures that show where this is at.

Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member
danyboy has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default tail gate

Got the same problem 4 years ago. There is a manual hatch hidden inside the tail gate, behind the finish panel, about 4 inches down and 1 inch towards the passenger side. Thanks to GM heavy pot smoking engineers for hiding it.