2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear window gluing itself shut?! (99 2door)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Shalom is on a distinguished road
Default Rear window gluing itself shut?! (99 2door)

I have a 99 Blazer, 2 door. Recently the rear window has been sticking shut, such that I've got to hold the button then heave with both hands on the handle to get it to open (which necessitates having three hands, this is a slight problem). It feels like the glass is getting glued to the rubber weatherstripping on both sides of the opening, but I felt them and neither the glass nor the rubber is sticky to the touch. Latch seems to work OK. Anybody know what gives? Does something need to be cleaned, and if so, with what?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i'd try lubricating the latch first. almost sounds like the latch isn't unlatching all the way. also another thing to think about, i've seen a few actuators fail on the back before too. try lubricating the latch first and see what it does.

use wd40 or pb blaster. if it works i'd use white litheum grease.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Mine is sticky too. But not as bad as yours. At least you know you have a good seal!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Starting Member
Rogue is on a distinguished road

I can remember an old station wagon I had with a power rear window. Same symptoms, just not as bad. Some armor all or similar solved the problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i'd try lubricating the latch first. almost sounds like the latch isn't unlatching all the way. also another thing to think about, i've seen a few actuators fail on the back before too. try lubricating the latch first and see what it does.

use wd40 or pb blaster. if it works i'd use white litheum grease.
i've been using the 3 in 1 Silicone spray. works better, and lasts waaaaay longer than those. only had to spray my hood latch/door hinges once this Winter so far. it also doesn't "stink" like some lubricants do

but as for the window sticking to the seal, use GM's AC Delco Silicone Emulsion, pt# 10953014. helps to keep the seals from sticking to the window(s), plus it also keeps the seals soft (therefore keeping a better seal).