2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear wiper is going nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rear wiper is going nuts

I agree with Phsychropod, Shaved is better!!! 1. It looks cleaner and 2. you avoid all the wiper/motor probs. I was actually trying to trade my tailgate on CL for one W/O the wiper, but no one seems intrested. My wiper works fine but I wanted to avoid shaving it off and plus it could be usefull to someone else.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member
Puffie40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone tried a older ('97-94) wiper motor in thiscircut?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

My original was a 96. The faulty one I replaced it with was from a 98+. I don`t think there`s any difference from 95+. If I`m wrong, someone please correct me.

Bottom line is that I refuse to throw money at a problem that`s just not worth it to me. Rain-X is formulated to make water roll right off the glass. Since the rear windshield is always pointing away from the wind, this is good enough to keep it clear, combined with the rear defogger. Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My rear window would be so dirty that I could not see through it properly in a matter of days if not for the rear washer/wiper. And that is even with an air deflector that pushes air over the window to keep the dust from collecting due to the window "always pointing away from the wind" as you said.

In the case of the OP, I would look check the fuse I stated earlier for voltage. If you have voltage there when it is not supposed to, that would explain the problem. Also, check the inputs/outputs at the module on the motor by removing it from the motor and testing the contacts with a multimeter.

As I said earlier as well, it is possible that it is something mechanical inside the motor that is not allowing the motor to go back to the park position properly.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Okay. Well, I have not had a problem seeing out of the rear windshield since I removed the wiper. Maybe you have a lot more mud/dust in your area.

For anybody that cares to see it, here`s what it looks like with the wiper removed. If you choose to go that route, just understand that you probably will want to have some very minor body work done, to fill the holes.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Starting Member

Looks clean!!! I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing, I dont care too much for the rear wiper. My wiper works though, so I'll probably end up keeping it till it dies. Did you weld in filler plates???

Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM

No, I haven`t had that done yet. I have a friend who works at a body shop, who says he`ll do it for me. My temporary fix was to stick some black electrical tape along the inside of the hatch to cover the holes. Even after a couple of months, this was enough to keep out the water. I don`t have any closeups of it, but there are three holes you will find:
[ul][*]A quarter-sized hole located where the wiper arm connected to the motor behind the hatch, and[*]2 small screw-sized holes left when you remove the hanger that the arm rests on.[/ul]I plan to do it ASAP, but I need to get my 2-inch lift installed first, to stop the bigger problem with the tire rubbing.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Psychropod

My temporary fix was to stick some black electrical tape along the inside of the hatch to cover the holes.

LMAO Sounds like something I would do!!! I would use TUFF STUFF though, instead of tape.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

My experience with these is that they are not worth the time of day.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Now Im not an electrical expert, but I am curious as to what kind of "electrical" mods or "repairs" have been done to your trucks. Maybe not by you, but just overall. It is possible for an improperly spliced wire to have an adverse effect when power is shifted in the circuit do to say, a relay, or computer controlled.

Also on these trucks, if the Main Computer somehow doesnt get enough juice, it can go completely nuts and do some of the wierdest things! I had a bad (that tested good under light load, ie testing station/machine.) alternator that caused some crazy weird random problems. But hey its just a thought. But my first thought after reading was feedback loop. Or if not that then maybe, a wire is say grounded but when it goes off a bad or miswired relay swaps it and maybe dumps power back down the circuit, I dont know. If you stoped it in the middle, would it keep going same way on startup or the otherway? maybe I'm nutz, just tryingto think outside the box.

Quick Reply: Rear wiper is going nuts