2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reclining seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member
Big Ted is on a distinguished road
Default Reclining seat issues

my 2000 balzer has the manual adjusting seats,,,,and the reclining levers are broke on both sides....the end of the shaft busted off on both sides,,,
Is there a way to replace that shaft, or do i need to replace the whole seat?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Big Ted
my 2000 balzer has the manual adjusting seats,,,,and the reclining levers are broke on both sides....the end of the shaft busted off on both sides,,,
please try searching before you post a question...this has brought up many times in the past...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:52 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Just go to your local parts store. They have the replacement handles near the HELP! section usually.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Just go to your local parts store. They have the replacement handles near the HELP! section usually.
He said that the entire shaft broke not only the handle. therefore the replacement handle wont have anything to attach to.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
hissingfetus is on a distinguished road
Old 05-17-2010, 10:52 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
He said that the entire shaft broke not only the handle. therefore the replacement handle wont have anything to attach to.
No, he said the end of the shaft, which is exactly how most, if not all, of them break. The new handle attaches with a set screw that holds it onto the stub of a shaft that's left.

Originally Posted by Big Ted
A seven year GM design problem can be fixed in less than five minutes. With this seat recliner replacement handle, the fix is easy, quick, money saving, and permanent.

If you bring your truck to the dealer, the cost to replace the broken seat recliner mechanism is approximately $175 including the 2 hours of labor to remove and replace the mechanism in each seat.

You don't have to remove the entire seat from the truck or take the seat apart to replace the broken mechanism with another poorly designed expensive factory part that is just going to break again anyway. Fix it right the first time and save money too. Never again be without a reclining handle.

The Design Flaw:

The material used for the original shaft was a soft pot metal. Using soft metal may have worked, except they put a slot down the middle of the shaft. This creates two stress concentration areas at the bottom of the slot, and this is typically where the shaft snaps off. As shown below, the entire end of the shaft with the teeth breaks off.

The Fix:

Our fix consists of a machined aluminum part that is much harder than the existing soft pot metal shaft, a hardened set screw, and a molded plastic handle with a metal sleeve insert molded into it where the handle attaches to the aluminum part. This attachment method distributes the torque over a larger area so that the metal is far below the breaking point.

There are other companies that make an all-plastic replacement handle. Their product is a one-piece molded plastic handle that uses a plastic tab in the slot of the shaft to transmit the torque from the handle, and also contains the high stress concentration area design flaw. If pot metal wasn't strong enough, then plastic will definitely break also.

Installation Instructions:

Step One: Push the fabric around the seat recliner pin back a little to expose the shaft. Prior to attaching the seat recliner handle to the shaft where the handle has broken off, use a file to smooth any jagged edges. It only needs to be smooth enough for the sleeve inside the replacement handle to fit completely over the shaft.
Step Two: Attach the replacement handle on the shaft by moving it clockwise and counter clockwise with the setscrew aligned directly on the groove of the broken shaft. Push on as far as possible. Apply some thread locking compound on the setscrew and use the Allen Wrench (included) to tighten firmly. The setscrew is hardened and designed to penetrate the softer metal of the recliner pin. Pull the fabric back over the shaft.

It's that simple! Now you're ready to adjust the seat to the desired position!

This part includes a 30-day money back Guarantee and a 2 year limited warranty.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 05-17-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 AM
Default yeah

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member
LinkTGF is on a distinguished road

ordering replacements at the moment... 29.90 + shipping for a set of 2 for my 1998 Blazer!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road

My seats won't recline farther than the A pillar. I'm in a 2 door. Do the seats in the two doors recline at all? If so, mine are busted. If not, that's dumb.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by LinkTGF
ordering replacements at the moment... 29.90 + shipping for a set of 2 for my 1998 Blazer!
you can get them on ebay for $20

Quick Reply: Reclining seat issues