2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Recovery Hook Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
I don't buy that for a minute. If thats the case then we should never pull anyone out of a ditch? Or pull anything at all. All I was saying is pull up to a tree and tie a chain to it and put it 4Lo and gently give it a tug.

Have you seen the new Chevy commercials where the truck pulls that big A$$ rock? Or where it pulls 3 trucks out of the mud?

Now if the guy ties a chain to it and then stomps on it, yeah hes gonna do some damage. But a gentle tug won't hurt anything.
Are you kidding? Look at the failure rates of these transmissions! This engine is way too powerful for this transmission. The inside of the 4L60E is a collection of small parts and retainer clips. There are also lots of consumable parts inside that are difficult to replace. Towing is consuming them faster, and that torque multiplication is what shears parts. If you break something off and it gets sucked through the rest of the transmission, which WILL happen... you are screwed.

The S-10 Blazer is way overbuilt for its transmission, just because it can tow without immediately killing it doesn't mean that no damage is happening.

Now, if you are easy on the take off, everything will be okay, but if you can't get the load to easily come forward with minimal effort, you are going to severely damage the transmission. They wouldn't say 360 pound feet if they really meant 500.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, repeated high shock loads will kill any transmission.

So what your saying is that I should never pull anything with my Blazer?

The main failures in these transmissions is lack of maintenance and abuse.
5 Grand take offs will kill them in no time flat. But just giving a stuck tow hook a gentle pull will toast a tranny? It's not like he's skidding logs with it.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
JS_blazer is on a distinguished road

Well golly-gee.

I got BOTH of them off, FINALLY! I had to kick the wrench, and I leg press around 500lbs.

The one on the left just finally came off. The one on the right I got off yesterday and sanded and gave it a few coats of Rustoleum Textured Black Satin Spray-Paint.

Sorry about the size, I tried to re-size them

Last edited by JS_blazer; 12-24-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Nice paint job! I have been shocked lately at how nice rustoleum comes out!

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
I agree, repeated high shock loads will kill any transmission.

So what your saying is that I should never pull anything with my Blazer?

The main failures in these transmissions is lack of maintenance and abuse.
5 Grand take offs will kill them in no time flat. But just giving a stuck tow hook a gentle pull will toast a tranny? It's not like he's skidding logs with it.
I won't say not to pull anything ever, and no pulling off a "glued" part is okay. But I will definitely say that you'll get a lot less 5 grand take offs after a few summers of hauling trailers and pulling stumps out. However, put an Allison in and you could tie the car to a building and go through a tank of gas with the throttle pegged -- That's the point I want to make, I feel that these transmissions are inappropriate for this application.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Starting Member

yeah, it looks alright. its nice how its textured paint

Old 12-24-2009, 06:14 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I dig it man. lookin' good. wait until you get em bolted back on and get a peek at what your baby might have looked like 14 years ago... little things like that go along way into making you appreciate your daily driver just that much more

glad they worked out

Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Starting Member

hell yeah! i used this stuff caled "Scratch Out" to turn my lights back to the shiny way theyre supposed to be and got rid of all my clear-coat scratches. i also used "Back to Black" on the plastics bumer on the front end to get back it's original color.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran

how'd the "back to Black" treat you? I have been secretly eyeing some for some future projects.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Starting Member

dude, invest like its your last day!! its amazing, you can use it on ALL the plastic. ie: the bottom plastic bumper, the black around the grill, the back plastic pieces beside the back hatch, and many more.

my dad has it for his sport trac, and he said "instead of trying to wash the plastic to clean it, buy some back to black jeremiah. its only 2 bucks, you wont regret it." So i was like, what the heck. I love it

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM
BF Veteran

Dark Lord Santa-
I am but a meek and pitiful specimen. Take mercy on me as you descend on the unwtting massing this black evening. If you will but note that I have been mostly good, and bestow upon me a simple bottle of "Back to Black" i promise to do your bidding in all future times of need.
Your wretched pawn,
-ABN31B.

Quick Reply: Recovery Hook Removal