2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Removing 95 liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
beantowner25 is on a distinguished road

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...nt=carprob.jpg

I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me with two issues I am having. Issue #1 The link above is a pic of my liftgate. (so you can see where my prob is) I need to remove the two hinge pins that attach the liftgate. I have tried repeatedly with no results. Are there any secrets? Issue #2 The floor mount for the seat belt (pass, and driver) is a t55 torx bolt and it will not budge. I have stripped one and don't want to strip the next one. I have put bolt loosener oil on it, but still no luck. Do these have to be cut off? I am recarpeting and repainting the car for no good reason but I have dismantled the whole thing and I'm not turning back now.

I wrote liftgate...but it is a tailgate. Sorry

Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

your problem is the torsion bar is still bolted in.

unbolt/remove the torsion bar, then drive out the pins. simple. also, don't forget to remove the straps on the ends too.

as for the seat belt bolts...........since you're replacing the carpet anyways, put a little heat on the underside of the nut in the floor. just be sure to cut as much of the carpet away before you do this.

try cracking the bolts free dry-i've had better luck cracking stuff free without any penetrant. give it about 1 full turn, then hit it with WD40, PB, or whatever you're using, then tighten it back down, then remove it completely.

if it starts to bind up again, just spray a little more, tighten it a bit, then continue to remove it. the reason you tighten he bolt after adding the penetrant, is it'll add some to the threads inside the nut, hopefully making it easier to remove.

you should be doing a thread on your build, you can post it here.

GL, and keep us informed of your progress.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:28 PM
beantowner25 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delayed response. (Christmas Holidays) Thanks for your help I removed the tailgate and I'm still working on the seatbelt bolts. If I have any more questions I'll post in the build category. Thanks again!