2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replaced Trans, now can't shift from park and no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member
grounded87 is on a distinguished road
Default Replaced Trans, now can't shift from park and no start

'97 GMC Jimmy 4x4

I just finishing replacing the trans on my truck and went to test fire it... dash lights on. no start. Push in brake, try to verify it's in park... shifter is locked in park.

The only time my truck acted like this before the plug on the side of the trans for the shifter lockout and such wasn't in tight, but this time they're both fully plugged in.

It was a biotch to get those plugs to seat fully, and I wonder if maybe I broke a wire when plugging them back in. Anybody have a good schematic for the plugs at the side of the trans so I can try to diagnose this?

Really bummed. I was hoping to have this done today, and now it's dead in the water. Ideas?

Last edited by grounded87; 06-25-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta be the neutral safety switch. More often than not, damage is done when the connectors are pulled.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Gotta be the neutral safety switch. More often than not, damage is done when the connectors are pulled.
durrr... does it unbolt off the side of the trans?

I think the old switch solenoid setup is still intact on the old trans. Is it as simple as unplugging the harness and swap out the unit or am I in for a big headache?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely try pulling the old one. It is fairly easy, but you have to pull the shift arm off the side of the trans as well.

If you do end up needing a new one, I think they are under $40.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member

Definitely try pulling the old one. It is fairly easy, but you have to pull the shift arm off the side of the trans as well.

Thanks. I'll try to swap it out tonight.

Hopefully I didn't break a wire when I shoved the plug back together... this truck has fought me every step of the way.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member

Figured I'd throw you an update. I plugged in the old one just hanging freestyle to test it and just manually turned it to see park. The truck fired right up, and the brake gear shift release worked.

Now I just need to readjust the linkage as I can only hit two positions with the selector. Is the floor shift adjustment the same as the column shift adjustment that you linked to here previously? Adjust A4 Trans Linkage