2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacement Axles, 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:01 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacement Axles, 4x4

I replaced both rear bearings/seals in March 2018 which took care of the noisy left rear bearing.......however the noise is back and there is quite a bit of play in the left axle now....knew that the axle surface was worn when I did this...was hoping to get a few years before having to replace the axle shafts.....apparently NOT.

So where is a good source for new replacement axles? What have you guys found?....Beside RockAuto

Thanks

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Well after looking around for an hour or so I just gave-up and went back to RockAuto; got the Richmond Excel 92-25112 axles. This was the more expensive one even though I could not find any difference in the specs between this one and then 92-25170 axle...both had the exact same text. I just assumed that the more expensive one had a higher strength steel.

Also ordered new rear dust shields to replace the rusted ones since "I am already there" and it was five more bolts to remove.

Still would like to find a G80 differential.

Later,

Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM

I had sent a question to Richmond asking what the difference was between the two part numbers, finally got a reply back, after I had already ordered. I was told in the email that the 92-25112 is for a 2wd drum brake and the 92-25170 is for a 4wd disc brake.
Now the specs have the axles at the same length...so this makes no sense. But I have both being shipped to me so I guess I will find-out what if any the difference is.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:44 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
I had sent a question to Richmond asking what the difference was between the two part numbers, finally got a reply back, after I had already ordered. I was told in the email that the 92-25112 is for a 2wd drum brake and the 92-25170 is for a 4wd disc brake.
Now the specs have the axles at the same length...so this makes no sense. But I have both being shipped to me so I guess I will find-out what if any the difference is.
The 2WD axles are a couple of inches shorter than the 4WD so that was B.S.

The GM part# for your vehicle (both sides) is 26050549. Both of these Richmond axles cross to the 26050549 GM axle (as do the Dorman 630-111 and 630-154). Supposedly one of the Dormans is for G80 and the other is not - but still they cross to the same GM axle. I would not expect any differences but you may want to check.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Les: Yep....something is just not correct in the Richmond specs. RockAuto called me as I had sent an email to them about the problem with the specs and he also did not understand. He also told me that RockAuto would pay for the return shipping of whatever axles I do not use as it is there problem to get with Richmond to sort out the difference between the two part numbers and correct the specs.
Gotta say that RockAuto once again takes care of their customers. They have already sent me the return prepaid shipping label.

It will be next week before any of the axles arrive.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Default Bearing Wear.....

Just thought I would show what the left axle looks like....gee anyone see any wear?...any at all?.......

Very surprised to see this much wear since March of this year when I replaced the bearings/seals, the wear greatly accelerated with the new bearing.

Last edited by LannyL81; 11-22-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Received what I was told was the 2wd with drum brakes...axles today; sure seemed to be the same length as the OEM axles, perhaps, maybe 1/4" longer....maybe. But the bearings and seals supplied were far too large to fit inside the axle tube, so back in the box they went to be returned to RockAuto. These were the more expensive of the two axles at RockAuto.
On a side note, there were two bags inside the box with the axle which were supposed to contain a bearing, a seal and 5 lug bolts. Both packages had opened during shipment with these parts scattered about within the box. The bearing and seal were not inside their own boxes, just loose, so I am sure they both got ding'ed up a bit.
This was due to improper packing by Richmond and probably rough handling by FedEx.

I expect to see the same when the next axles arrive Tuesday. I am not sure if I will keep these axles or not, regardless if they fit or not due to the improper packing of the bearing, seal and lug bolts.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:00 AM

The next axles arrived, separately this time, not taped together like before. Upon opening the two boxes found the same as before, the lug studs, bearing, seal scattered within the box as they had come out of their little envelope.
Axles are the correct ones as are the bearings and seals.
Not having much fun getting the wheel studs pressed into the axle flange.....am using a ball joint C clamp for this. I got one stud in by myself, but with nine more to go I am getting another person to help out. I am doing this before installing the axle, might be easier to do so with axles installed as one person needs to hold the axle while the other works the wrench to press the stud into place.

Am not impressed with the bearing quality, seem to be noisy when spinning them dry.
For anyone needing to do this repair, I would suggest to try another brand.
I will update this thread one last time after I get the axles installed and put a few miles on them.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:18 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
The next axles arrived, separately this time, not taped together like before. Upon opening the two boxes found the same as before, the lug studs, bearing, seal scattered within the box as they had come out of their little envelope.
Axles are the correct ones as are the bearings and seals.
Not having much fun getting the wheel studs pressed into the axle flange.....am using a ball joint C clamp for this. I got one stud in by myself, but with nine more to go I am getting another person to help out. I am doing this before installing the axle, might be easier to do so with axles installed as one person needs to hold the axle while the other works the wrench to press the stud into place.

Am not impressed with the bearing quality, seem to be noisy when spinning them dry.
For anyone needing to do this repair, I would suggest to try another brand.
I will update this thread one last time after I get the axles installed and put a few miles on them.
Can't you pull the stud into place using the back side of an old fashioned lug nut with a spacer or washers between it and the axle flange? Remember these studs are metric thread.

So were the axles identical in the two kits? But bearing OD was different?

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-30-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Les: I tried that....wow!...are those new studs ever a tight fit.
With a helper we were able to get the nine studs into the axle flanges using the ball joint press/C clamp; with the axle laying on the floor with a 4x4 block of wood on the spline end, I was standing on the flange, helper was using a cheater pipe on a 1/2" racket, 22mm socket to turn the ball joint press/C clamp and press the studs into place. Took about 30 minutes to get the nine studs in....but we did.

And yes the axles were the same length, spline length was different between the two part numbers, along with the OD of the bearing and seal being larger.

Axles seem to be fine.

Got everything installed and went for a short slow test drive....all was good, nice and quiet.
I also FINALLY measured the ring gear and it is a 7.625", I do not have a stepped rear axle tube....so the G80 I bought last summer will fit.....YEAH!!!! Did not have time to install the G80 today as I need the Blazer working tomorrow and next three weeks. So that will be a project for later.

Last edited by LannyL81; 11-30-2018 at 07:02 PM.