Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

need an axle...size, gearing etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
GMdesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need an axle...size, gearing etc.

hey guys, have been rollin' the blazer with out any problems for some time, but now something is seriously binding up in the rear (axle bearings I think, but might be in the rearend...) I want to find a rear axle for the '95 4wd blazer out of a junk yard (which I will get for free) instead of opening it up and finding the problem etc. Seems much easier to me to just swap the whole rearend/axle at once. My question is, what other vehicles can I get the axle from? Previous generation 4wd...2wd...other GM vehicles etc? Or, does it have to be a same generation 4wd? Any help is much appreciated. I read here that the 4wd has a width of 52"...is that correct? I live near Detroit, so if any one knows of a axle, that will help if my friends yard doesn't have one.

oh, also, should I be concerned of the gearing? Should it match the front...does it matter?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need an axle...size, gearing etc.

You will definitely need to get the same gearing unless you are going to open the replacement up.

You will need to get the axle from another 4wd s-series truck. The 2wd axle is narrower by 4".

Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
GMdesigner is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Did you check and see if your brakes were sticking?
Could be the e-brake not releasing if you used it recently...

Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: GMdesigner

hey guys, have been rollin' the blazer with out any problems for some time, but now something is seriously binding up in the rear (axle bearings I think, but might be in the rearend...) I want to find a rear axle for the '95 4wd blazer out of a junk yard (which I will get for free) instead of opening it up and finding the problem etc. Seems much easier to me to just swap the whole rearend/axle at once. My question is, what other vehicles can I get the axle from? Previous generation 4wd...2wd...other GM vehicles etc? Or, does it have to be a same generation 4wd? Any help is much appreciated. I read here that the 4wd has a width of 52"...is that correct? I live near Detroit, so if any one knows of a axle, that will help if my friends yard doesn't have one.

oh, also, should I be concerned of the gearing? Should it match the front...does it matter?
If you have rear drum brakes, check theself adjustment mechanism,before you go to the trouble to change the wholedifferential and axle housing.The Gov-Loc locking differential (code G80) differential is probably in good conditionif it has not beenabused. Check your glove comparment to determine theaxle ratio (codes GU5-3.23, GU6-3.42 or GT4-3.73) and install the same gear ratio.

The axle housing of a4WD S/T-10 Blazeris 59"between wheel mounting points and a2WD version is 54.5" . However both the 4WD and 2WD are 38.5" between centers of the spring perches and will swap out within limits of your choice ofwheel offset. The entire rear axle housingand differential assembly will interchange in the S/T10, trucks, Blazers, Bravadas, Sonomas from1988 - 2002.If you switch from rear drum brakes to rear disc brakes, theproportioming valve is not needed but it can remain in place.The emergency brake cable may have to beadapted to fit, depending on the year .

Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Getting a ZR2 axle will also get your front/rear track width to be within 1/4" if I remember right.

Otherwise if you go to a regulalr non-ZR2 5-speed you can upgrade to the 8.5" and keep your current axle width.