2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing Headlight in 2004 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
bobhanks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing Headlight in 2004 Blazer

How difficult is it to replace the left headlight in a 2004 Blazer, base trim (LS). I am not mechanically inclined but am learning.

Also, is there any way of shutting off the automatic headlights in day travel? Drives me nuts...

Thank you, fellow Blazers...

Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 AM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacing Headlight in 2004 Blazer

What do you mean by "left headlight"? Do you mean the high beam or low beam (9005 or 9006 bulbs). It doesn't matter, they both are easily replaced.
Open your hood, and look behind the radiator support behind the headlight whose light you are replacing. There should be two black plastic tabs. Pull both of them up and then pull the headlight case out. Then find the bulb you need to replace and turn it to unlock it and replace it. Then reassemble. Make sure to follow this guide to make sure that you reassemble correctly so your headlights won't be crooked....
As for disabling the daytime running lights (DRL), then look at this thread for help and this thread too.

Hopefully that's not to confusing. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watch closely when you are removing the headlight. Easier than it looks really, an be a pain sometimes. I find one side of my truck harder to get back into place(for whatever reason) but still not difficult. Just don't touch the Bulb itself.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 AM
blazerlt01 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's easy, as speeddemon 560 said, pop the hood and go to the side in which you want to remove. there will be to plastic tabs holding the headlight to the radiator housing. just lift the headlight a little and pull straight out.pull the headlight out and remove it from the wirring harnesses. locate the bulbs you wish to change and turn to the release position and pull it straight out. insert new bulb straight in and turn to lock position. then reconnect to the wirring harnesses once all bulbs you wish to replace are replaced.putting them back in can be a little harder, just take your time and line everything up.

as for turning off the driving lights, there should be a button below your dial which controls whether justyour headlights and parking lights are on, or just your parking lights. (keep in mind that when you turn the car on, your headlights and parking lights are both on.) the button will read "dome override", press it 3-5 times real quick and you will hear a bong sound, this indicates that your lights are now off and you may manually control which set off lights are on with the switch.(keep in mind that the next time you start the car after turning it off the lights will be back on again automatically.)
hope this helps

Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM
tcmeiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but this is the only headlight replacement thread i came across in a search of the 2nd gen forums...

is it basically the same process as described above to replace the bulbs in a 96 LT? i'd like to upgrade to Silverstars and i'm wondering how hard it'll be...

thanks...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bit different for a '96 due to the difference in the headlamp housing.

I'm not too sure exactly how it's supposed to be done, but I can check it out tonight when I get home in my references...

I did find references to two rubber tipped things behind the radiator core support that when twisted will release the headlight, but I have no idea what they were talking about...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 AM

cool... any help is appreciated... would the info possibly be in the manual?

Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Owners manual, no...

Repair manual... Well, depends on what you have... AllDataDIY.com will have the appropriate info because you'll get the subscription for your vehicle. The factory repair manual will have the right info. I do not know if the generic 2nd gen Haynes or Chiltons will have it for all of the different combinations of headlamps on the 2nd gen from 95 to present. I'll check what my 2nd gen Haynes says when I get home tonight.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

ok, thanks...

edit: found this thread on a Google group but it's not real specific... and i'm not sure, but i think the 95 and the 96 should be the same...

Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 PM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point

In regards to the daytime headlights. My 1997 has three relays located in the glove box behind a pop out shield. I removed the far right relay to kill my day running lights.

Quick Reply: Replacing Headlight in 2004 Blazer