2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Replacing Radiator - difference between AT and MT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Namtaru is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing Radiator - difference between AT and MT?

Got a crack in the drivers side plastic end tank on the radiator so i'm just planning on replacing it, is there a difference between the auto trans and manual trans rads?

I only ask because most of the ones i see specify for automatic transmission or manual transmission. I'm suspecting it may have more to do with mounting but not sure.

Just looking for cheap replacement, i don't need an all aluminum one since i only use my blazer to haul trailers a handfull of times during the year.

This is the one i'm looking at but i have a 5 speed so wasn't sure.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...ht_4013wt_1165

I also planned on replacing all the tubes since I was going to be in there already, anything else that i should replace since im going to be in there?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is a difference. The AT rad will have a transmission cooler in the passenger side tank.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 AM

So if I am understanding this right, you can use one made for an auto on a manual, but you cannot use one made for a manual on an auto?

It seems a lost of listings either say Automatic Transmission or Fits Both

Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, basically that is correct. You will want to check to see if you have the engine oil cooler built into the driver side tank as well. Not sure if that was standard on 4wd trucks in '97 or not.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah the 97's definitely have the engine oil cooler built into the radiator.

I lost an engine out of my previous '97 i had back in college because when i had the rad replaced on that one the shop didn't replace the clip on the oil cooler and it blew the engine

seeing as i actually know what im going now under the hood i prefer to save the money and do it right this time, lol