Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

difference between 2wd and 4wd wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
bitbandit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default difference between 2wd and 4wd wheels

is there any reason wheels listed to fit a 2wd blazer whouldnt fit or work on a 4wd blazer ?
like on tirerack.com there are hardly any wheels under the 4wd selection but there are more if you select the 2wd.
i have a '01 2door ZR2.
Any thoughts welcome

Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: difference between 2wd and 4wd wheels

When you say wheels, you mean the rim itself correct?

And the backspacing is different on the two. 4wd have a rather large 6' backspacing stock, where as the 2wd have only 4' backspacing which I imagine is more common.

I personally like the look of less backspacing on the 4wd, I only have 4.5 on my rims, and I like the wider stance it gives my 4 door. But yours being the ZR2, it already has a wider stance and the 31's....Hrm..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

hmm, i didnt think about the back spacing i am not too worried about that, i wouldn't mind a wider stance.
less back spacing = more chance of rubbing while turning ?
is there a down side to less back spacing besides rubbing ?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By moving the center of the wheel out, you will increase the stress on the wheel bearings. Many do not have problems, but it is a sure thing that the stress will be increased, increasing wear.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

So Kyle arn't wheel spacers brutal on wheel bearings? I've always wondered that..especially when people ask why they can't find spacers longer than 1.25'..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Due to the same principles. Basically, with the 6" BS rims, the wheel bearing is only dealing with near straight up forces as the wheel bearings are centered in the wheel. THe more you decrease the back spacing, the more you push the wheel bearing from the center of the wheel. You still have the same straight up force per bearing, however now you have introduced a torque (or moment) force that increases the loads associated.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM

makes sence.
the wheels i am looking at say they have a offset of -44mm for the 15" wheel and +10 for the 17".
so the 17" wheel would be closer to the stock back spacing than the 15" correct ?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

They are different. You need to know the width of the rim to go from offset to backspacing. As offset is from the center of the rim. So the offset value + 1/2 the rim width would be your back spacing.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:41 PM

sweet, thanks guys for the help.