2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rgent Help Needed, Please-A/C Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM
crater is on a distinguished road
Default rgent Help Needed, Please-A/C Clutch

Just found out that my A/C clutch needs to be replaced. I got price of 280.00 to install a re-mfg one, but I don't have the money or the time. I need to finish moving tmrw.

Can I by-pass the A/C by installing a smaller serpintine belt. The diagram for the belt installation without A/C is right under the hood. If I can do this I can get a belt tonight. Also, as winter is coming, I can save for a new one with a warranty.

If I can not by-pass the system, is replacing a clutch & hub a DIY project?

Greatly appreciate any input....

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
armstrong001 is on a distinguished road

On my 99 Blazer there's an electrical plug that connects right behind the clutch. Disconnect it, and the clutch doesn't engage. Hope that helps.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Assume the clutch bearing is squalling now as it chews up your compressor snout.
No you cant, unless they changed the compressor location from 99 to 2003 {Gee.. how did I know you have an 03!}. You either need to fix it or get a delete pulley. If you can pull your compressor to the side and tie it off that's the thing to do.
This is the best writeup of the DIY job you'll find
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/...llyService.htm

Amazing... people ignore the bad bearing noise until it's too late.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Assume the clutch bearing is squalling now as it chews up your compressor snout.
No you cant, unless they changed the compressor location from 99 to 2003 {Gee.. how did I know you have an 03!}. You either need to fix it or get a delete pulley. If you can pull your compressor to the side and tie it off that's the thing to do.
This is the best writeup of the DIY job you'll find
GM A/C Compressor Clutch & Pulley Bearing Saga

Amazing... people ignore the bad bearing noise until it's too late.
Yeah, I know I have posted a lot of questions, but I have got a lot of problems. Apprecate your help

Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by crater
Yeah, I know I have posted a lot of questions, but I have got a lot of problems. Apprecate your help
Not the point. Unless your year and model are shown in sig or namebar, identify what you're referring to so we dont have to guess or search your previous posts like I did.

Sidenote: Bravadiva's clutch bearing just started singing. I immed ordered the bearing and tools, total 55 bucks on line. Thing is you have to have a hydraulic press to remove and install the bearing.
My brother does.
.. now to just get energized enough to do it. Hopefully I wont wait till I'm in the same pickle.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-15-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM

Not the point. Unless your year and model are shown in sig or namebar, identify what you're referring to so we dont have to guess or search your previous posts like I did.

Sidenote: Bravadiva's clutch bearing just started singing. I immed ordered the bearing and tools, total 55 bucks on line. Thing is you have to have a hydraulic press to remove and install the bearing.
My brother does.
.. now to just get energized enough to do it. Hopefully I wont wait till I'm in the same pickle.
Thanks again for the help and info regarding putting my vehicle in my namebar, it's on my to do list.

Regarding the clutch problem. I am going to order the parts needed, but I was wondering,since the noise on comes when the clutch engages, and I really don't need the A/C for a few months, can I just dis-connect the electric connection as pointed out in the other reply above.? I only want to do this until the parts come in. I really need to finish moving, and I have most of my personal items inside the blazer. Not a whole lot of things for a guy that has been around this life for over 65 years. Kind of depressing really. Oh well, that's for a different forum.

Please let me know about un-hooking the connection.

Thanks again

Old 11-16-2011, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks again for the help and info regarding putting my vehicle in my namebar, it's on my to do list.

Regarding the clutch problem. I am going to order the parts needed, but I was wondering,since the noise on comes when the clutch engages, and I really don't need the A/C for a few months, can I just dis-connect the electric connection as pointed out in the other reply above.? I only want to do this until the parts come in. I really need to finish moving, and I have most of my personal items inside the blazer. Not a whole lot of things for a guy that has been around this life for over 65 years. Kind of depressing really. Oh well, that's for a different forum.

Please let me know about un-hooking the connection.

Thanks again
{arrghh... hoist again by me..
Goes to show you.. Never ASSuME.}

Yes. As Armstrong001 suggested that's worth a try. If unhooking the connector to compressor stops the noise, then do it. Good idea even if it's the bearing that causes the noise.

You can also pull the connector at the accumulator to stop compressor from running.

Anytime you get more noise than usual when compressor runs, do this immed. that means pull over and do it now. You may save yourself hundreds of dollars.
Pulling the connector at the accum bottle is recommended because it's easier and cleaner. Wont get hands as dirty.

Now for the bad news. Are you sure the noise is from the clutch? That would mean it's slipping. and grinding itself up. That may be the clutch itself or it may mean the compressor is going south.
Yeah... I know. you needed that, didnt you. Sorry.

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM

{arrghh... hoist again by me..
Goes to show you.. Never ASSuME.}

Yes. As Armstrong001 suggested that's worth a try. If unhooking the connector to compressor stops the noise, then do it. Good idea even if it's the bearing that causes the noise.

You can also pull the connector at the accumulator to stop compressor from running.

Anytime you get more noise than usual when compressor runs, do this immed. that means pull over and do it now. You may save yourself hundreds of dollars.
Pulling the connector at the accum bottle is recommended because it's easier and cleaner. Wont get hands as dirty.

Now for the bad news. Are you sure the noise is from the clutch? That would mean it's slipping. and grinding itself up. That may be the clutch itself or it may mean the compressor is going south.
Yeah... I know. you needed that, didnt you. Sorry.
No need to apologize for the bad news. I am getting used to it.LOL

I had it in the hsop the other day and they pointed it out to me that it was bad. When I spin it by hand you can hear it rubbing/grinding. It's also, kind of hard to spin by hand. It gets lound when it kicks in, about every fifteen seconds.

Regarding the connection at the accumulator, I can only see one such connection so I am assuming there is only one. I do not want to have freon spraying all over the place.

Once again, thanks for your help...

Edit Update: I meant to say that it stops spinning after about 15 minutes, then makes the noise, when it is spinning it does not make the noise. Sorry to confuse you..I already have enough confusion for both of us....

Last edited by crater; 11-16-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran

Regarding the connection at the accumulator, I can only see one such connection so I am assuming there is only one. I do not want to have freon spraying all over the place.

Edit Update: I meant to say that it stops spinning after about 15 minutes, then makes the noise, when it is spinning it does not make the noise. Sorry to confuse you..I already have enough confusion for both of us....
You wont. That switch it hooks to can even be removed without emptying. It's on a schrader valve. No need to take switch off, though.

So.. lets clear this up. The pulley rides on a bearing that is critical whether or not the clutch is engaged. The inner race fits on the compressor housing snout, not the shaft of the comp.

If it only makes the noise when the compressor clutch is not engaged, IOW front of clutch not turning, then you either have the problem I originally thought you did.. bearing .. or the clutch is deformed.
- Turn the clutch by hand, without pressing it in, and see if you feel it rubbing. If that's the case, dont bother disconnect, wont matter. But if it's the bearing replace brearing or assy soon as possible. You could also see if you can move the compressor aside - off the engine and secure it- and install a delete pulley.

If it only makes the noise when the front part of clutch is spinning then the clutch is either slipping or the compressor is ready to grenade. Either way disconnect is imperative