2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is this rim bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
2005 Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this rim bad ?

One of my rims has a kinda "spider webbing" affect going on in the center of the wheel. I get alot of vibrations when doing 65+.

I found a pic of a wheel on Ebay that looks like mine. I dont know if this rim is bad and therefore causing the vibrations, or if somethign else is.

Does anyone else have a similiar "spider webbing" on any of there wheels? Do you have any issues with it?

Any thoughts on the wheel condition?

Attached Thumbnails Is this rim bad ?-wheel.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

Unless I'm missing something, that rim in the thumbnail looks a little oxidized, but _seems_ to be OK. Are you sure you just don't need an alignment and/or tire balance?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah from the image all I can tell is that the finish isnt perfect. Maybe with a close up we could see somthing better

Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Have you had your tires balanced after you noticed the vibration?
I'm with the above posters...I don't see anything wrong with that rim...but it's hard to see.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I have acid wash on my rims as well, not sure how it got there or how to get rid of it, etc.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention. I have gotten a Roadforce balance by the dealer, which didnt help any. ( I noticed the "spider-webbing" effect a little while after the balance...Im not saying they caused it, only that if I had noticed it before I would have asked the mechanics doing the balancing about it.)

It does look like its only surface deep, but wasnt sure how it go there. I was thinking maybe the rim was warped and caused the surface to get the "spider webbing" / acid wash look.

I didnt want to go out and buy new rims or tires if I didnt have too. But just trying to correct the vibrations.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM
420BLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

From your picture it does look like oxidtion and I have the same on my rims and can provide a pic if you like. they run fine

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member
number13man is on a distinguished road

could it be the rear u-joint? i had the same vibration at about 60+. i replaced mine ($15 at autozone) and my vibration went away.

hope that helps.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Was the tire they balanced on that rim the same one that was on it with the vibration before balancing. You may have a broken belt or cord in that tire

Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by number13man
could it be the rear u-joint? i had the same vibration at about 60+. i replaced mine ($15 at autozone) and my vibration went away.
Thanks for the suggestion, Ill have to check it out.

Was the tire they balanced on that rim the same one that was on it with the vibration before balancing. You may have a broken belt or cord in that tire
Yeah it was the same tire/rim. how would I be able to tell is there is a broken belt or cord?

Last edited by 2005 Blazer; 08-30-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: trying to get the "quotes" to show properly

Quick Reply: Is this rim bad ?