2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

RKE pairing issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member
sorcerertd is on a distinguished road
Default RKE pairing issues

I have been trying unsuccessfully to pair a new keyless remote for my 2001 Blazer. I am able to enter pairing mode and get the lock/unlock signal from the vehicle, but get no response from the remote when holding the lock/unlock buttons. I've tried two remotes (one brand new one) and new batteries. The power locks work without the remote. What next besides dealer service? Is there a fuse somewhere that might cause this?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the procedure in THIS POST work (located via search function for "reprogram")? If not, you may have to get the dealer to reprogram the RKE fobs.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Beginning Member

Well, mine had the RKE code already listed. It came with a fob, but it was broken. So I've never been able to get it working and now the replacement fob has the same issue.

The process is failing when it's time to hold the buttons on the fob for 7 seconds. I've tried as long as 45 seconds and still get nothing. Honestly, I think I'm going to have to look to make sure the unit is still installed on the hush panel tomorrow. Maybe somebody took it out before I bought it.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you verify that the FCC ID numbers are the same on the remote (T at the end for transmitter) and the RKE module under the driver side dash (R at the end for receiver)? If they are different, your remotes will never work...

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member

I pulled the RKE module from under the dash. It has an FCC ID of KOBUT1XR. The remote that came with my Blazer has an FCC ID of KOBUT1BT. The one I purchased that is supposed to work with it has an FCC ID of KOBLEAR1XT. I guess that's "close, but no cigar". So everything I've found for sale (mostly e-bay) shows the same codes as one of the two fobs that I have. If that is the case, where the heck did my remote module come from? Obviously, I don't expect an answer to that. It's just my luck that I have the one that's different somehow. I guess I'll hit a few junkyards and see what I can find. It might be easier than finding a remote for this module.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Yup, you need a remote that has an FCC ID of KOBUT1XT for it to work correctly. A quick google search provided two sources for this remote.

Looks like that RKE module came from a car.... The Blazer key fobs do not have a trunk opening option...

You may be better off getting the proper RKE receiver.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yup, you need a remote that has an FCC ID of KOBUT1XT for it to work correctly. A quick google search provided two sources for this remote.

Looks like that RKE module came from a car.... The Blazer key fobs do not have a trunk opening option...

You may be better off getting the proper RKE receiver.
Yup. And since you have both versions of the FCC ID, it should make it that much easier to find a match. IIRC, most, if not all 2nd gens came with a RKE module. Even if they weren't optioned with keyless entry. So you'll need a KOBUT1BR or KOBLEAR1XR module. If you can't find any, I may be able to part with my extra KOBLEAR1XR receiver...as long as I still have it. I pulled it put of my '01 because I found a key fob and matching reciever in a Jimmy at the salvage yard. LMK...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

Ummm our NZ/ex Japan blazers have the rear hatch release option on the fobs and the manual programming didn't work for mine either I had to get the local Chevy dealer to use the tech 2 to sort it out it cost me a box of heinakens

Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Mine has the rear hatch button also.

I don't see why that receiver wouldn't work with the proper remote. You could even swap the buttons out so the bottom one says Rear 2X instead of a pic of a car with the trunk open.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Probly a lil off my mother inlaw has a olsmobile car her remote locks and unlocks my truck she locked my keys in my truck thank god she got in her truck before hand cause i got in through the back window.

Quick Reply: RKE pairing issues