2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rough riding ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
man0steel is on a distinguished road
Default Rough riding ZR2

This thing rides so rough it is causing everything inside and out to rattle. Now you may ask yourself why would he buy a ZR2 and cry about it riding rough. I have a 2500HD Silverado 4x4 and a 99 ZR2 pickup that both ride like a luxury sedan compared to the blazer, I mean it hits every little expansion joint and crack in the road so bad I can't even adjust the volume or tune my touch screen stereo.
I have the same type tires on all three trucks, the only difference is the blazer has Rancho shocks all the way around where the others are factory (bilstein?). Could it be that simple? I have been searching for a less aggressive shock that has the correct distance of travel but not having much luck, seems like the only listings are for Rancho or Bilstein. Ideas? Part numbers? Your experience?

Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Ironman shocks are very popular in my country.

I won't give You any exact part numbers, as I found them quite often misleading. I.e. I've seen the offers for Chevy Blazer with MacPherson struts, that won't surely fit Nevertheless, I found that producer provides a selection charts where You may select the stiffness You like.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Starting Member

Anyone use Monroe Reflex Monotube.....only thing I can find beside Rancho .How did they ride? Firm, harsh, soft?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by man0steel
Anyone use Monroe Reflex Monotube.....only thing I can find beside Rancho .How did they ride? Firm, harsh, soft?
I also am in the market for new shocks on my 2001 ZR2 Blazer. After lots of research I think I'll stick with the Bilstein factory shocks only because I can see that most of the rubber components on my suspension are worn out and cracked which I believe is the reason for the crappy, bumpy ride.

On a side note, I purchased some Lucas Oil heavy duty grease and I did all 11 grease zirks on the front end a couple weeks ago, and I kid you not, almost all of the front end noises and ride roughness is gone. All of my grease zirks were dry. I then looked at all the rubber components and sure enough their pretty much shot and need replaced. So, I went to home depot (in their parking lot) and sprayed a couple cans of silicone spray on all rubber components, and it rides like a Cadillac for the time being, while I order new suspension parts.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Starting Member

Going with the Monroe reflex for hopefully a smoother ride. Will report back when done.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I went with KYB KG5451 rear shocks on my 2002 2WD Blazer with towing package to firm up my tired OEM Bilsteins. I recently towed a piece of heavy equipment at my maximum towing capacity and I am very happy with them. They started out a little stiff but I like the ride now.

Did them at the same time that I addressed my failing rear axles (shocks,axles, bearings, seals, parking brake shoes, rear disk pads)

George

Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I put the Monroe reflex on my Dodge Durango and really liked the ride for the family truck.

Regarding your rough ride, you may want to check that the suspension isn't sagging, and the front control-arms are resting on the bump-stops. The saggy suspension is quite common in the Blazers and many other older vehicles. If they are, then every little bump will be transferred to the chassis, rather than being absorbed by the suspension.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Starting Member

I remember reading on a forum about a year ago (don't know which one) they were saying the shocks for the full size Chevy trucks were a direct bolt on for our s10's and performed very smooth and comfortable.

I may have to revisit some research.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Starting Member

Yes, sagging in back....waiting on new springs (hard to find correct for ZR2). Almost on the bump stop / assist spring, So I removed them, no change.

"shocks for the full size Chevy trucks were a direct bolt on for our s10's"......now you tell me this.

Still gathering parts for suspension/steering rebuild

Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by man0steel
Yes, sagging in back....waiting on new springs (hard to find correct for ZR2). Almost on the bump stop / assist spring, So I removed them, no change.

"shocks for the full size Chevy trucks were a direct bolt on for our s10's"......now you tell me this.

Still gathering parts for suspension/steering rebuild

I don't know if its true or not, but I'm going to find out. I also have my eyes on some new springs for the ZR2 here:
https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/22-1333.htm

Quick Reply: Rough riding ZR2