2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Running way cooler after heater core flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Running way cooler after heater core flush

welp the way i do it is, open the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, take the plug out completely.. The water will hopefully start to drain out all over your hands and down your arm into your sleeve LOL anyways,take offthe radiator cap get a garden hose put it in the cap opening not full blast but strong enuff flow to keep the level kinda high, start the eng and let it run... The eng will heat up the thermo will open and let the water flow thru the block with the hopefully good working water pump pumping it .. as the eng heats up you`ll start to notice the water coming out the bottom of the radiator steaming... bring up the idle a little bit to help push the water thru the block. try to keep the water level close to the top of the cap fill so it doesnt run out of water.... if ya have to turn up the water pressure enuff to have water run out the top also.. when you see clear water coming out without any thernostat pieces included the block should be pretty much flushed out. ok to finish, shut the eng off !!! take the hose out of the radiator and shut water off so you dont flood the sewer in the street let the remaining water drain from the radiator completely... reinstall the plug at the bottom put antifreeze in it, normally it should hold about 2 gallons.. Ya mayneed to add sum water again to top it off, you`ll prob have air in the system for a bit so keep an eye on the level again when your done.... Also start doing the flush when the eng is cold... does this help?? I hope i didnt confuse ya......

Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

It helped ALOT. Serious. hahaha

But there is a drain on the radiator that looks like the bolt that is on the
brake calipers that you use to bleed the brakes right? I heard that is what it looks like..

and what side was it on the drivers or passenger side? Because i have a TON of stupid skid plates under my truck.
and I want to know which one to take off.

But thats all you have to do? open the drain. put hose in top of radiator.
crank the heater and start the car and let it run for a while after the thermostat is open?
hmmm seems WAYYYY easier than I thought
I will probably end up doing this tuesday. I dont have work that day...

OHH, yeah. You said 2 gallons of coolant? Will that leave enough room to make
the coolant to water ratio 50/50?

Because I noticed you were in rhode island and I think its colder up there, which
means that you guys use more coolant so it doesent freeze right?

THANK YOU GUYS
Chad

Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

i`m on long island not rhode island.same diff tho lol.. its an island... they actually sell prestone antifreeze thats already mixed 50/50 green antifreeze.. when you take off the skid plates, you`ll prob see the plug i`m talking about, its normally a plastic type of screw. I havent had to flush my system in my blazer yet so maybe they changed it i havent even looked .. mIne isnt 4wd with skid plates so i`m not familiar with your specific model blazer.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I will be doing that as soon
as I can then. I will let you guys know, maybe I will do a
D.I.Y on how to do a coolant flush for people like me,
who have never done one before. AHAHAHAHA I am probably
the only one on the forum. lol

Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I've never done one

Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 AM
MoneyPItJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've flushed mine twice...the first time the dealer did it...never again! ($400.00)...second time I went to Wally World and bought the flush kit, spliced in a hose connector to my upper core hose...popped in the plastic doodad at the radiator cap and it flushed..well problem is, I did that in August, it looks crusty and filthy again...[&o] I have heat, but will never put in that 'cheap' flush kit again, I have to keep re-tightning the hose clamps on the garden hose attachment I spliced in, as it'll do the slow drip on yah. Oh, I did run it with that so-called Super Flush crap that Prestone makes...it don't work...maybe if you left it in for a million years or so? I also found that the cheap plastic radiator drain petcock...or in this case a plug was replaced with a plastic bolt on mine..PO was too lazy to get a replacement...you can get them in the Help section at your local auto store...but to answer the guestion above, it'll look like a simple **** with a central finger grip barthat you turn/twist and can pop out...partially to drain (there is usually a drain tube off the side of that area, if not put one on, it's handy). After the flush, I recommend a system sealer..I think I used on made by Prestone...