2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Extremely doubtful that the PCM is the problem. They rarely fail on these things, and to have an intermittent problem like you described.... I wouldn't even want to guess the odds of that

Couple of things about your vehicle... the "module" in the distributor is the camshaft position sensor. It does not affect engine performance unless it's significantly out of adjustment, in which case, a DTC would be set and the SES light would come on. When the sensor is adjusted correctly, if you unplug the sensor, engine performance will not be affected. The sensor can not cause a no-start condition. Also, the oil pressure sending unit can not shut off the fuel pump. GM has not used that circuitry since the 80's. The fuel pump circuit in your OPSU provides an additional path for current to flow to the fuel pump when oil pressure is above ~7psi. The fuel pump relay controls the fuel pump, and the PCM triggers the relay. If you need help diagnosing those circuits, let us know.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Beginning Member
barnesto is on a distinguished road

Okay, it finally quit starting, I still have great fuel pressure. It seems to quit starting when you get the engine warmed up. My girlfriends brother is a mechanic and told me that I might have a PCM that has already been replaced, maybe with a different year model. So that might be why we can't get anything on the scanner. He said if the computer was out you wouldn't be able to start the car. I checked spark, while it wouldn't start between the coil and distributor and no spark. I'm still lost on this,

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

When you start the Blazer, and it starts right up, then drive a bit, for some reason something is shutting off the spark for a while until you wait a bit and then after cool down it will start right up.

Last edited by barnesto; 06-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When it doesn't start: The pink wire at the ignition module, and at the ignition coil, must both have battery voltage when the ignition is in the START and RUN positions. Post your results and we can move on to the other primary and secondary ignition circuits.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member

Not sure where the ignition module is...is that inside the distributor? I put a new coil in and nothing. I checked the wires going into the coil (white and pink) two sets, on pink showed 11.5 volts and the other pink didn't show anything.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 PM

The sesnor inside the distributor is the camshaft position sensor, it can not cause a no start condition.

The ignition module is right next to the ignition coil, attached to the same bracket.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all your help...

I looked again several times and the only thing on the left side looking at the motor is the Coil pack, which I put in a new one, and of course now it won't start. I looked up Ignition control module and it is the same part I put inside my distributor a year ago. Is that the same as the Ignition module? I just can't seem to find it if it is supposed to be next to the coil.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 PM

As mentioned in post#5, your engine is a mid production 1995. Some, not all, of the components are the same as 1996 and newer. You might have to tell the auto parts store that you have a 1996 when it comes to primary ignition parts. The [camshaft position] sensor in your distributor should look like this:

The ignition module next to the ignition coil should look like this:

Attached Thumbnails Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-cmpsensor_zps78dd4225.png   Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect-ignitionmodule_zpsc5cb00e5.png  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member

The attached link is what i installed inside my distributor.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Beginning Member

Quick Reply: Runs perfect then won't start, then runs perfect