2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Security No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member
eknox327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Security No Start

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer. Today after work I went out and tried to start to no success. I had this problem before about 2 year ago and had a new ignition switch installed. I am hoping this was a hiccup and I don't have to have another one installed. here is my question.

I left the key in the on position for the 10 minutes and then cycled off and started the car and went on my way. Did not have time to do full relearn.

I have been able to start the car just fine the last couple times however can I still do the 30 minute relearn to hopefully avoid this happening again? The security light comes on when I put in key and turns off about about 2 second, which is normal. Does the security light have to be flashing and the passlock feature to have been tripped for me to start the relearn procedure or can I just put the key in and start the relearn and time the 10 minutes for 3 cycles?

I'd rather do the relearn procedure when I have time as opposed to unexpectandly doing it.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the security light doesn't stay on, it likely isn't a passlock activation issue.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member

Maybe I need to clarify. It was flashing when it did not start. That is why i left the key in for the 10 mins. It would start and shut down immediately. Can I do 30 relearn without security light flashing?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that part. If the light shuts off quickly after you turn the key to the ON position, the 30 minute relearn isn't going to work for you as that means that the key has been read and accepted.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I guess I will do it the next time it acts up. Hopefully I wont have to.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Starting Member
jt32404 is on a distinguished road

ok i have same problem with my 1999 chevy s-10 blazer the security light shuts off quickly be4 and i can crank my truck soon afterwards but 2 yrs later the security light comes on and stays on while im driving this happened to me july 24th 2010 and then it finally turned itself off and then on monday the 26th i was out and then i shut off my truck and wouldnt crank up and the security light was flashing, then eventually it finally cranked up and ran, after sitting in a parking lot for almost an hour while im working pizza delivery, it cranked and ran fine, til on the 29th of july 2010 the security light decides to turn on again while i was driving at work and then it went off again and lasted til i was at the grocery store trying to leave to go home with milk and other cold item and was kind of warm outside and it wouldnt start up again and the security light was flashing again, i went to the cheverlot dealer and they said with the VIN# i gave them on my blazer it does come with a passiver anti-theft system nor a keyless entry clicker, this is getting aggravating and even my mechanic is stumped why its doing it again so he suggests i do the relearn option everytime it does it i got the truck used and the only keys i have for it are copies of copies dont have the original key for it, my mechanic thinks i need to get a original key or new ignition swicth with key in case ithe key has the micro-chip in it, but then i need to rekey all my locks to match which would be costly for me, so u have any suggestions on what i really nee to do??

Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Administrator

jt32404, please keep your questions in your thread on the subject. Double posting is against forum rules. Thanks!