2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Light of Doom

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM
skorned is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Light of Doom

Jump in my Blaze to head to work this morning and the Service Engine Soon light came on to wish me a good morning. So took off work a little early and drove over to Autozone to get it checked out. They came up with a Secondary Air Intake Fault and their litte book gave me two options for troubleshooting. First, check the air pump relay/fuse....otherwise replace the air pump.
I don't have a shop manual yet, so I just took a quick glance at the fuse panel on the driver's side of the dash, then a quick look at the cover of the relay box lid and didn't see anything relating to the air pump. Can anyone give me a hand and tell me what to look for or offer suggestions? The funny thing is, the truck isn't running funny.

Thanks all!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Service Engine Light of Doom

Can you post up the codes?
I think I read something about water in the AIR pump at one point....I'll look a little later

Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if its P0410, then it is a problem in the secondary air injection pump. Best advice I can give is to pull it and bench test the pump to see if it will move. It is located under the radiator.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 PM
skorned is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yeah, if its P0410, then it is a problem in the secondary air injection pump. Best advice I can give is to pull it and bench test the pump to see if it will move. It is located under the radiator.
I think that's the code he talked mentioned at Autozone. So here's my stupid question of the day...how vital is this air injection pump? Also, anyone have any idea on how muchit is to replace it and how difficult? I guess I have to freeze my butt off for a bit just to make sure it's not the fuse/relay...if I can find it.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a link on the s10 Crewcab site:

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/vi...light=air+pump

Old 01-09-2007, 08:32 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull your battery out and inside the fender is a relay and 30A maxi-fuse (and a horn and...), if your pump is siezed-it's blown. Pump isn't too bad to replace, biggest pain for me was the sqeezed on stainless steel clamps on the hoses. (and trying to find a pump at a less than scary price). Truck won't runmuch different, when mine was threw the codeit was generally at 26-28mph & light throttle.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same SE code on my '01 4.3L. I checked the fuse and it seems to be good. Pulled the pump today and it was full of H2O and is locked up. The relay also seems to be inop as well. I put 12v to the plug and no "clicking" sound. I started the engine with the pump removed and the hose that connects to the pump inlet spits water. I beleive this iswhere the water came from. What would be causing the hose to spit water? If I put on a new pumpI will get the same result if it fills with water again.Any ideas?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is a revised intake hose... I'd have to look it up to find the PN unless someone beats me to it.

*EDIT* - I think this is the PN - 12590627 - Hose Assembly - Secondary Air Injection

Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point

So that should stop the water?

Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Administrator

It's what's on the TSB about it. I also have the PN for the air pump if you need it.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light of Doom