2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

slight oil leak from remote filter- i have a idea.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road
Default slight oil leak from remote filter- i have a idea.

like the title states, i have a idea for fixing a slight oil leak i have coming from the remote-mounted oil filter. back in the day i had a '87 astro van that had a trailer tow package, it had a adaptor between the filter and engine block that had lines hooked up to it and went to a cooler on the radiator, i dont remember exactly why , but i removed it and just had the filter screw onto the bottom of the engine. is it possible to do that with a 4x4 S-blazer and be rid of those leaky lines/fittings, or will the front driveshaft be in the way of mounting a filter directly to the block? i havent priced replacement lines yet, but from what ive read of the procedure, it doesnt sound very quick/easy to do. my oil leak isnt major (yet) but i know that could all change. dont want to ruin a good engine. 95% of the time this is just a passenger vehicle, and only rarly would it pull my 1,000 pound box trailer. i could see needing a cooler if you pulled the maximum amount constantly, and i dont know if the filter is remotely mounted for service convienence ( like that ever happens) or if they just didnt have a choice due to such a tight fit with the motor/chassis. the '87 astro had no bad effects tossing the cooler adaptor/lines. even if i have to pull the front driveshaft every time i do a oil change, putting the filter there would be worth it to me-if it will fit. looks like $43.00 for replacement lines through autozone.

Last edited by racsan; 02-04-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

I just installed the 4th set of cooler lines on my '97. They're ~$35.00 at major name parts stores.
So far, I've only had to replace the lines that run from the filter block to the radiator.
The lines that run from the filter block to the engine block are still original, and I do believe you cannot put a filter setup on the block of a 4.3. The block is not made for filter mounting, and the engine mounts would not allow a filter in this area.
In order to replace the engine block lines, the engine mount has to be disconnected on the passenger side, and the engine raised in order to get at the line fittings.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouringMike
...and I do believe you cannot put a filter setup on the block of a 4.3. The block is not made for filter mounting, and the engine mounts would not allow a filter in this area...
All 2wd Blazers have the filter mounted on the block above the oil pan. Not having a 4wd I'm not sure, but the reason for the remote mount on them is because the 4wd components would block access to an engine mounted filter.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM
racsan is on a distinguished road

o.k. thanks for responding, didnt think thered be room, but figured someone may have tried this before or at least been under there more than me and be familer with the area and clearances involved. (or lack of clearance)