2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

smoke coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member
Snowmonsterdude is on a distinguished road
Default smoke coming from engine

I don't know what exactly the problem is, this happened a few days ago too and it doesn't overheat but I had the AC on but from what I can see:smoke coming from engine-pict0002.jpg
The smoke is coming from down there where the arrow is pointing I'm lost as to whats causing it, other than oil i'm not sure if there's anything else important down there, and I checked that too, Oil is full. Also far left of the picture you see that big thing, that was ice cold to the point where's water all over it..Is that supposed to be like that? help is greatly appreciated...thanks guys

Old 06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The "big thing" is the accumulator for the A/C. When the A/C or defroster is on, it's perfectly normal for it to frost over. It's possible that the condensation is dripping on the exhaust causing steam. Another possibility is the lower intake manifold gasket could be leaking coolant on to the exhaust manifold or exhaust crossover pipe. Is there an odor to the "smoke"? Is the coolant level in the reservoir between the min & max marks? Are you losing coolant?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member
Snowmonsterdude is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The "big thing" is the accumulator for the A/C. When the A/C or defroster is on, it's perfectly normal for it to frost over. It's possible that the condensation is dripping on the exhaust causing steam. Another possibility is the lower intake manifold gasket could be leaking coolant on to the exhaust manifold or exhaust crossover pipe. Is there an odor to the "smoke"? Is the coolant level in the reservoir between the min & max marks? Are you losing coolant?
Going back out there and warming it back up and stuff, I now think that's what it is, I didn't look good enough before.. I thought I did have a coolant leak but I guess not, Coolant is between min and max.. I guess everything is fine.. I think I jumped the gun too quickly on this one, I often do but thanks for the quick response man

Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There's a rubber drain hose on the bottom of the evaporator housing that allows condensation from the evaporator to drain to the ground. If it gets plugged up or routed in the wrong direction, it can drip on the exhaust. It's a real bear to see it, usually you have to get your hand in there and feel your way around.