2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Some help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 AM
jeremyah is on a distinguished road
Question Some help needed

Well i got a 1999 Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 (w/auto 4hi) with 74K (this is my first Chevy) and i got a few problems

1.only the driver door lock works (the rest are all manual)
-when the unlock or lock is pressed from either driver, pass. or rear liftgate only thing that even makes a sound is the driver door
-Can this be a relay or just bad locks because rear window release works on dash and with key

2.Maybe nothing is wrong but when the can is started and lights are in auto mode the radio is dim (i know this is normal because it says so in manual), but..how do i get them lit up again?
-aswell the dash lights do not work(speedo,tach.) but all other lights work(dome, p,r,n,d)
-Once again my understanding of the problem is that the headlight switch is no good since the dome override dosent work or does it just not work the way i think it should(turn off dome,)
(this was fixed by removing trim and pluging in connector for switch) stupid mechanics

3.there is low coolant/ air in coolant
-there is a gurgling sound behind dash
-i know this really isnt a problem but i was reading that the dex-cool can be bad so i was wondering if there is any recommended replacement

4.transmitter dose not work (factory two button transmitter)
-i followed two guides
1.stand next to car, hold both buttons for 7 seconds (in the manual)
2. hold unlock and cycle key twice, locks are supposed to cycle but it didnt
-Just a idea also but can that be because of the locks not working?

5.there is an unpluged wire under dash (next to park brake)
-it is blue with 3 wires two orange and one black (i think it was black? sry very tired, will check in morning)
-it was a 6 pin connector with a plastic inserted to cover bottom 3

6.not really a prob. but there was a red push button under dash idk what it does but just wondering if it is something someone might of seen before
-it does nothing when pushed

7.just a question but can someone give me exacts on the rear driveshaft length and front rear pass. cv axle length was going to replace them but with all the options available to the blazer over the years last thing i want to do is wast time and money go back and fourth through parts and thinking im crazy having a part not fit

8.there is a hissing noise coming from pwr steering filler neck
-sound is not a constant hsss. but a more of air escaping bubbly hiss

9.overhead dash kinda works
-it displays direction correct ( i think i have yet to drive it and watch it)
-the on/off works but us/met dose not also i read in manual there is a mode where is it (lol there only two buttons maybe i read wrong or just dont remember im super tired)

10.there is a sound from what seams to be transfer case only when put into reverse when in 2hi but not in auto (haven't tested 4hi or lo but i would guess it wont make noise)

thats all i can think of for now much appreciated for help given!

edit: just thought of a few others

11.i am pretty shure both input shaft and rear output shaft (haven't checked front) have bad seals because there is a bit of oil around there but it seems to be old oil, but when i touched around the input shaft i felt as if the seal was cracked and out of place so i was just wondering since this one seemed worse if it can be the cause of the reverse noise and aswell what are the instructions to check atf fluid level on the tc and how to refill if needed since most likley i will replace both seals.

12.the power outlet in the cigarette tray dosent work not shure if its common (havent fully checked if its just crusty or no power since po seemed to be a smoker (but no smell Yay!)

Last edited by jeremyah; 09-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM

so nobody has any type of help available?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM
bronzeblaze is on a distinguished road
Default help

It sounds like the previous owner has some esplaining to do. If they won't pony up then I recommend taking your door panels off and checking the wiring for the door locks first. As far as the red button goes that sounds suspicious. Like maybe the guy tried to add some kind of kill switch or something. Either way it sounds like someone was messing around with security system.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the response and yes they are suspicious and i really do need to find out why this is happening with the locks because i have now also found two other things but i really need to find out what is causing these electrical problems and find out if there related.

1. there is a vacuum line on the side next to the driver side mirror under hood the best way to describe is that there is one vacuum line coming in from a harness that goes to firewall, it then goes to a Y fitting after leaving the harness which has another line coming in they then goes to a T fitting that has one side about a inch long with a screw in it pluging it closed the other side goes to the same thing the pcv valve connects to. i traced the lines and im pretty shure it has something to do with the 4wd i have the 4 button

2. i found another loose wire it is a blue connector next to under hood fuse box it comes out of a harness and connects to nothing there are 2 pins inside, there is nothing at alll that it can connect to.

ok i recently took off the dash and found out the red button is for the alarm that po installed (its a valet switch) but while digging throught the dash i found out the body relay block was not hooked up onto the black plastic piece that hooks up to the metal to hold it but when i looked in there i was pretty shure i found my door lock problem THE DOOR LOCK RELAY WAS MISSING! so if any one has a part # please tell update: (I have replaced the relay part # was D1780C now locks work perfect

another thing i found when digging around was that there is a green plug that was disconnected it came off of the top driver side tweeter i plugged it back in but im not shure if it is working i didnt really hear anything so if any one has a good working one how easy is it to hear it on? also do all trims have those tweeters because the radio is not a bose its a delco theftlock but idk.

Last edited by jeremyah; 10-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.