2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

"Spider" Replacement on '97 4.3 motor, Safari Van

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:19 PM
|
Starting Member
56buick is on a distinguished road
Default "Spider" Replacement on '97 4.3 motor, Safari Van

Bought a NEW Fuel Injector "Spider", 'Standard' Brand, for just under $210.

Having trouble finding info on the procedure I need to follow to be able to do the replacement properly.

This Kit came with a new Bracket and some sketchy instructions about the routing of the Injector Lines.

I plan on pulling the Pump Fuse and running the motor until she stops, to relieve the Fuel Pressure.

I would like to find out if there is anything in particular to watch for when making this change?
What kind of time is needed?
How hard is it to get the old Injectors out?
Any spectial Tools needed?

What procedure to use for start-up after the job is done?

Thanx for the help ahead of time!!!

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

After removing some parts off of a '96 Astro, I can tell you that this will be fun. Space is at a premium under the hood of these minivans.

I would definitely remove the engine cover on the inside of the truck. That will open up the back of the engine so you can disconnect the fuel lines as well as get some of the fasteners out that hold the upper intake plenum in place.

Remove the fuel lines, do not try to bend them out of the way after pulling them out of the spider.

Time... That really depends on how experienced you are. It shouldn't take more than a few hours for an experienced mechanic to do.

The injectors aren't held into the bores in the LIM (lower intake manifold) by much. There are two little spring clips of sorts molded into the plastic outer body of the poppet nozzles which clip into a cast in groove in the LIM.

A good metric socket set (deep & shallow), some extensions, and a good metric wrench set should get you through much of it. The spider bracket is held into the LIM by a torx head bolt. I cannot remember the size though.

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:08 PM
|
Starting Member
56buick is on a distinguished road

I'll pull out the "Dog house" so I will have some room, like you suggest.

Sounds like I'll need some Metric? Line Wrenches also?

Doesn't sound like there is a lot to it except for the lack of space.

Anything I need to worry about breaking?, this Van has approx 110k on it.

It recently had a new Fuel Pump installed.
More recently the whole Intake was re-sealed because it was leaking Coolant from the top side and running down the Front and Back of the Motor.
It was after this last work that the Check Engine lite came on, it started missing on #6 and mileage went to the dogs.

Thanx again for your help/knowledge!

Old 12-28-2010 | 06:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Line wrenches could be useful on the fuel line fittings at the back of the engine, but since you will have wide open access after removing the "dog house", you really shouldn't need them. The fittings should not come apart all that tough.

Getting the spider to release from the upper plenum can be a pain. The last few I did, I sprayed some penetrating oil around the top of the spider before I started taking other things apart and they came apart quite nicely. Just remember that the spider is clipped into the bracket which is bolted to the lower intake manifold. After all of the fasteners for the upper plenum have been removed, the only thing holding the spider into the upper plenum is the seal.