2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spongy brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

NO. Pumping these brakes to bleed them will cause problems in the ABS unit.

Two things to remember for this entire procedure:
1 Do not pump the pedal until instructed to do so.
2 Do not allow the master cylinder to run low on fluid.

Remove the master cylinder cover.
Fill with clean DOT 3 fluid.
Leave the cover off.
Open one rear bleeder valve. Allow it to drain until no bubbles exit the valve. May take 20 minutes or more so be patient.
Close the valve.
Open the opposite side rear bleeder.
Allow it to drain until no bubbles exit the valve. Will not take nearly as long as the first rear bleeder did.
Close the valve.
Repeat for both fronts. Each one will take 10 or more minutes.
Slowly push the pedal almost to the floor, and slowly release. Approx 3 seconds to apply, and 3 seconds to release. The pedal should be very firm after 4 or 5 times.
Have an assistant apply pressure to the pedal, don't pump it.
Quickly open and close one of the valves. The object here is DO NOT allow the pedal to go to the floor. Repeat one time and the fluid should be coming out clear, with no bubbles.
Repeat with each of the other 3 wheels.
Make sure the master is full, put the cover back on.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

replaced the master and bled, working fine now. Although the strange thing is that the fluid was green, "bled" it til fresh clear was coming out.
Umm Cap'n, I never heard of that way to bleed them before, why this way and not pumping? I'm not doubting you, just trying to learn.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member
Chevy Nova is on a distinguished road

You can get air in the ABS and sometimes have to use a special scan tool to get the air out. I had my 96 ruputure a line and all fluid ran out. I was able to do the gravity bleed and then bleed as usual at each wheel. Usually right rear, left rear, right front, left front. The nice thing is you just let it run and keep the master cylinder filled. Leave the cover sideways to prevent anything from falling into the master cylinder.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Chevy Nova hit the nail on the head! Also, if/when the master cylinder is replaced, (it must be bench bled before installing), or the lines between the master cylinder and EBCM are opened, there will be air upstream of the EBCM. The air enters the EBCM and gets trapped in the solenoids. A scan tool capable of performing the automated bleed is the ONLY way to get the air out of the solenoids. The automated bleed forces the air out of the solenoids, and into the steel lines. After the automated bleed, the system needs to be gravity bled as described above.