2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

squeak with rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default squeak with rpms

hi. i have a 2000 blazer, and i have this squeak that i cant find. i hope someone here has dealt with this before.....

ok, it sounds like crickets. and it only squeaks when the truck is hot from driving, not idling. the squeak goes with the speed of the engine, you know? now say i wake up and go driving...it takes about 30 minutes before it starts the noise. after driving for 30 minutes....it will not squeak while idling or in nuetral.
now say i drive for an hour....and idle, it WILL squeak in idle, and in nuetral, and still at the engine speed. see what im sayin?

ok what i did so far.......
replaced the belt, which did absolutely nothing.
sprayed wd-40 on the pullys. (not on the part where the belt is....like where they bolt on)
and thats it, lol.

ok here is some more info.....
i know its hard to find out where a noise is coming from....but, this noise is definatly coming from more of the passenger side. if its doing it in idle and you open the hood.... it almost sounds like its the tensioner.
but if you lay under the front....it sounds like its the crankshaft.( i think its the crankshaft. the big wheel behind the crankshaft position sensor.)
and....if you lay under the passenger side, it sounds like its comin from in the tranny near the starter.
so i have no clue. im actually gonna take a video and put it on youtube so someone can hear it lol.

one thing that worries me is that......when i bought the truck, the tranny was f'd up and the dealer replaced it with one from a junkyard.

any ideas would be helpfull!!!!!
please help!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Starting Member
Default RE: squeak with rpms

ok yesterday i did the belt tensioner assembly and it didnt help at all

Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Starting Member

ok after searching for "squeak" and "squeek" and reading every post on here, lemme explain some more....

it squeaks in everything. if it stops....sometimes you can rev the rpms and it will come back.
its like a...... cheep cheep cheep cheep.....kinda noise. like crickets or birds.
last night i found out that....after drivin for a while....if i stopped, put the e brake on, and shifted from neutral to drive withoput steppin on the brake....it cheeped once.
so this morning....of course i couldnt get it to do it. its so damn annoying i dont wanna drive it. plus already....i went thru 2 tanks of gas gettin the truck hot enough to do it so i can at least find out where its comin from.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I'm off to work right now so I would quickly suggest removing the belt completely after it's warm and see if the squeak is still there.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

It might just be the belt or it could be a pulley wheel somewhere in the serpentine belt system. I would try shooting some WD40 on the pulley hubs (the part the pulley spins around) and see if the squeak goes away. If that doesnt work find some belt dressing that works on serpentine belts and try that. If none of this helps then it is probably something in the fan clutch or the ac compressor, maybe even a water pump going bad.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

thank you!
i did wd 40 the pullys, got a new belt and a new tensioner assembly.

someone else told me to take off the belt and see if it still squeeks, but the thing is.....even in the 5 seconds it takes to remove the belt....that gives it enough cooling time to stop the noise .... until i drive again.
this is a hard problem to diagnos.

but i will try that chevy lover, have fun at work.
anymore ideas please tell me!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Starting Member

maybe if someone can tell me everything that turns with the speed of the engine when you idle or are in neutral. cuz whatever it is it is def turning with the speed of the engine. does the transmission still spin in neutral? listening today....again it really sounds like it comes from the passenger side. but i cant tell if its in the engine compartment or under the truck. but what stinks is it only does it under load, will do it in neutral if i drive around for a hour but damn hows the 2.75 a gallon gas doin

Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Starting Member

ok how about the accelerator pedal wire?? i been reading that that can squeak too? but would it squeak along with the engine?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Starting Member

hi, i have an update on this problem if anyone is following it.....
last night i found out another thing.....
if and when it makes this noise in idle.....it does it only for a few minutes, so last night...when i was again tryin to figure out where it is coming from....i just reved the engine quick to try to get it to squeak again....
what i noticed was....when i reved the engine, lets say just to like 1500 or so, you know, just a quick rev...when the tach needle dropped back down...it didnt drop entirely smooth. know what i mean....it like, went down in increments....
so....every increment....it squeeked.
which kinda makes me think its in the cap/distributer somewhere. right now i have the cap and rotor off and sprayed wd40 in it to see....
so if the squeek is following the tach needle perfectly....does it sound right that its in the distributer area???

Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Starting Member

ok great that didnt do nothin.
but i got it to make the noise constant when idleing...i covered the grill and put on the ac....you know?

anyway......can someone tell me what is more lieky to squeek when it gets hot....the fan clutch, or the water pump?
also....... is the crankshaft supposed to wobble?

Quick Reply: squeak with rpms