2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

squeak with rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: squeak with rpms

Is the noise present with the belt off?

Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

the noise is not there with the belt off.
the noise also is not there if i take the fan and the clutch off

Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a local junkyard (you pull it type place) near you, maybe try a replacement fan & clutch to see if that makes a difference... It would be cheaper than purchasing a new one just to find out it wasn't that.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Starting Member

i already did the clutch. it still did it.

used a stethescope yesterday and the noise was comin from behind the water pump pulley, so i replaced the water pump, but that didnt do it either.

could the pulley be making the noise?? but only when its at an underload temperature?

im lost.... 1st of all i cant find out where this noise is....cuz it needs to be hot, it will do it in idle for a minute....but once you open the hood...you only got a few seconds before it cools enough to stop.

im seriously thinkin off ditchin this blazer. i went thru this "replacing parts" time on my last 2 blazers too, but at least i knew what the problems were.

the sound is definitely coming from the middle or lower engine area. can hear it the most if you listen thru the passenger front wheel well

Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

How does the water pump pulley look on the outside? Is it worn smooth or is the paint still on it? Have you tried roughing up the surface?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Starting Member

its funny you say that.... cuz after i put the new water pump in, and test drove it......once it started squeakin...i went right to auto zone to get a water pump pulley, but they said it was N/A.

the pully is pretty warn...its really shiney and smooth. i was just gonna go scuff it up some but wanted to check to see if you had replied yet.
do you think maybe that could be the noise?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Its possible. Too smooth of a surface finish and a warm belt would make for the proper conditions for a squeak. Try some 80 grit sand paper, sanding across the belt path and see how it goes. Crappy part is you have to pull the fan/clutch off again, but you're probably pretty good at it by now.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Starting Member

yes ill go try it now.

yea i can take that pulley off in like 2 minutes ive done it so much in the past few weeks its silly.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
classic_cruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been following this thread because I've had a similar problem, squeak that won't go away on my 2001 LT 4WD. Mine was doing it from cold until it got really hot, after which it would stop. I replaced the belt twice, cleaned up the pulleys, changed the tensioner...still did it. I listened with a length of tubing held to my ear to pinpoint the noise, and it sounded like a metallic-squeak right from the water pump, so I changed that...still squeaks. So thenI bought the gatorback belt, and it stopped... for a few days. Now when it idles and it's cold, it makes a chirp-chirp-chirp noise, like in a few weeks it's going to start the squeaking again.

Because I bought it used, I never saw what was coating the pulleys when new. Were they just powder coated with black, or did they originally have some sort of rough coating on them? Mine now has a number of places where the bright silver metal color is showing, especially on the idler pulley above the water pump. I've not tried the sanding trick yet, how long does that last before it needs to be re-done? Anyone ever try to cut lines into the pulley with a dremel grinder?

Terry

Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Starting Member

ok i sanded the pullys and all, and it still did it. but how about this.......

i got it to do it in idle by keepin the fan off and this is what i found out....
when i loosen the oil cap, or lift up the oil dipstick. the noise stops.

there is a really really lot of suction. so what im gonna go try now is to see if somethin is clogged.

ill let you know when i get back

Quick Reply: squeak with rpms