2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 06:39 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Default Starter!

I think the truck starter just gave out. First drive, too.. Drove it like regular, about an hour (though that really doesn't matter.) Went to store. Turned off. Came back out? .. Some weak cranking, stopped. Then? From then on... Nothing.

Some clicks, one more instance of a couple of weak revolutions, perfectly strong battery, all jumps, all interior things work, NO STARTING.

Starter ?? And how much does that go for, at a shop... (the job, total)

Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Are you asking for help to diagnose and or fix your truck or are you looking for a repair cost estimate? We mostly do the first here.

George

Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Are you asking for help to diagnose and or fix your truck or are you looking for a repair cost estimate? We mostly do the first here.

George
Well, I would say both.. It is at a shop says they are going to look at it Monday, but I would like to know approximately what I am going to get hit for. The starter is in.. a fairly accessible yet also fairly inaccessible place at the same time. Of course I tried some banging. Did not have enough room to hit it very well and became concerned my coworkers were just banging on various parts of the undercarriage before I had to tell them to stop as my truck is in good shape...

Battery voltage was 12.4-12.67V and no change

I am asking about both.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What is the year of your truck? Manual or Automatic?

what is your battery voltage at rest and what is it when the ignition is in the start position?

crawl under the truck and see what the voltage is on the purple wire at the starter with the ignition in the start position.

George

Old 12-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Starting Member
Bill O'Bryan is on a distinguished road

Never underestimate the possibility of loose or defective connections.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bill O'Bryan
Never underestimate the possibility of loose or defective connections.
lol, and never underestimate the idiot questions that pop up on these forums! 😂

Old 12-20-2019, 02:40 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Billy1820
lol, and never underestimate the idiot questions that pop up on these forums! 😂
There are no stupid questions asked here. If you don't like the question, then simply move along. You have been warned.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road

I second Bill O'Bryan... side post batteries are known for coming undone check both positive and negative terminal screws for tightness. also check ground wires on your fender. I literally just had this happen to me with my new bravada... drove a day and a half parked at the new job wouldn't start when I got done at the new job had to make the new boss jumped me not a good start LOL. it was literally the positive terminal screw. when the battery shorts it'll do one click under load but as soon as you release the ignition all your accessories will come back on sometimes.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:56 AM

Hi! Just a quick update.. It was the Starter. It was replaced and now it starts fine and "to me" it seems to run even better than before but that is just my imagination, most likely. I am happy I took it to the shop because they tested everything and everything else passed so I am not left guessing. Also, I know that sometimes Aftermarket starters don't fit, or are shaped just different enough not to go on, even though they say they do...

Big shout-out to the GREAT posts and posters on here, not so much for those that feel the need to be jerks (one post in this thread was.) I also agree with bravo99. These side posts.. smh. I would really like to attach my Power Pulse battery desulfator (probably unnecessary but it does help the battery receive a constant charge, instead of only when car is running and it really does seem to make a difference) but from what I see.. there is no way. On my 93, I actually was able to buy some special terminals and I forgot how I threaded them in, without changing the whole cable ? But, aside from taking the whole battery out and replacing it with a Dual Post. This battery is 5 months old and tests perfect...

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
What is the year of your truck? Manual or Automatic?

what is your battery voltage at rest and what is it when the ignition is in the start position?

crawl under the truck and see what the voltage is on the purple wire at the starter with the ignition in the start position.

George

1996, Automatic.

Rest voltage was 12.67V and I did not have any 2nd person so I never was able to get the voltage when key turned.

The purple starter wire.. I was able to see the starter when attempting the "Bang on it with a screwdriver" trick (first car I had where this did not work, at all. Probably starter was just that bad, died the first cold day) and now it is replaced.