2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter Busted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member
Awesome is on a distinguished road

Hmm... well, I now know how to get ALL of the spark plugs out (will do a write-up if you think it's a good idea) and two of them (guess which two haha) were old and crusty... one of the plugs had water on it. Sooo... looks like it could have a head gasket leak (would explain why I seem to loose coolant but I don't see any major leaks), BUT... the engine does turn over by hand when I pry on the flywheel. So, the engine is not seized. We can't figure out why the starter won't turn over the engine. It's really trying to. Voltage drops very low when it's trying to crank. Tried with a new Marine battery (they don't fit, by the way), and that didn't work........ so... I guess I'm gonna try a new starter again. Also going to try a couple other tests first.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at what the voltages are at the starter when you try cranking the engine over?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member

No... I was trying to remember what you said to do there and I couldn't remember. That's one of the next tests I need to do.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
crazyboy81 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Awesome
I FINALLY got it! I had to pull the bellhousing off (rounding the head on one of the bolts because they were on so tight... in aluminum! ) and to pull the bellhousing off I had to disconnect the front driveshaft. New bolts and a remanufactured starter: $100. The starter has a lifetime warranty. Alright... now to put it all back together.

EDIT: Put the bellhousing and starter on... same problem. Looks like a seized engine.

Edit Again: My buddy tells me that sometimes if the alternator freezes up it will make it seem like the engine is frozen. I'm going to pull the belt off next time I feel like getting under the truck and putting the old starter back in. Hopefully it will start without the belt! (dead alternator would also explain why it seemed the battery was draining over time)
I'm having a problem with my starter that has me pulling it more than once. Ge that truck on ramps or jack stands. Have the wheels turned a bit towards the left/driver side. Unbolt the wires that are fastened together with the coolant lines, or oil lines, I dont know what they are. Bolt the lines back up wthout the wires and ziptie them in the future. Unbolt the starter. Drop and rotate to get an extension socket to undo the wires. Now rotate it and wiggle it out either by front end or back end, I cant remember (and I just put it back it on hour ago lol)

No undoing mounts or lifting the engine or dropping driveshafts/CV joints.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member

On mine I don't have enough clearance to remove the starter without removing the bellhousing, and in order to remove the bellhousing I have to drop the driveshaft.

Update: I can turn over the engine by hand with all the spark plugs removed. My dad wasn't able to (he wasn't at the right angle) but I confirmed that it is possible. My dad hotwired the starter and it still wouldn't turn the engine over. There is a .6 volt drop between battery and starter/engine. I'm going to try replacing the starter again, making sure the connections are not the issue. I'm going to use a shim this time too, just to see.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:44 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

You can loosen the inspection cover and just leave it hanging when you wiggle the starter to get it out,that's how I do mine. It gives you just a little more room to play with it. Also what I do is after the starter is loose I kinda rattle it around and rotate it to get to the wires. If I remember corectly I point the nose up.
However the coolant on the plug may be a cracked head, thats what happened to mine. The bang that you would hear was a hydrolic lock up in the cylinder, not good because you can break the block, be careful. What happens is when the motor is running there is pressure in the cylinder so you don't get alot of coolant in the cyl. But when the motor is turned off the pressure in the radiator fills the cylinder, water won't compress like air. For a TEMPORARY fix to get it home you can loosen the radiator cap very carefully the relieve the pressure in the cooling system when you shut it off.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member

Jigger, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. Replaced the starter again... no go. Looks like a cracked block. Now I have to decide if I want to sell it, replace the engine with stock, or replace with a small V8.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 PM

Awesome do you have water or coolant in the oil (does it look milky)? It still may not be mechanical, check all the electrical stuff first before you make a rash dicision. Also it might be possable that if you have high milage when it hydroliced you might have jumped the timing chain if it was loose. Pulling the motor is a big job, so check EVERYTHING else first!
good luck.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

I haven't checked the oil. I'll do that. I've checked every electrical thing to check, and I don't see why timing would be an issue as it won't turn over and it has no spark plugs in it. Fortunately I have a friend with all the equipment to pull the engine, and he's replaced the engine on his Jimmy as well. He threw a rod because the previous owner let the oil run out.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 AM

Well I always try the simple things then work up from there. I guess I missed the part about not turning over without the plugs in, that's not good. I hope for the best for you.
Before you do yank the motor search the forum for the good tips-there is a bunch of good ones and guys like swartllk and oldskool know a bunch of them.
good luck and I hope it's cheap for you.