2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

starting problem truck is broke down at post office

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
thenewguy is on a distinguished road
Default starting problem truck is broke down at post office

Today I started my truck just fine dropped my kids off at school, then I went to the post office. When I came out to start my truck I turn the key and nothing happens, no cranks, clicks nothing.. I tried in neutral same result. I checked fuses all are good. Were else do I look? neutral safety switch if so where is it? some kind of parking switch? ignition switch someone please help.....

Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thenewguy
Today I started my truck just fine dropped my kids off at school, then I went to the post office. When I came out to start my truck I turn the key and nothing happens, no cranks, clicks nothing.. I tried in neutral same result. I checked fuses all are good. Were else do I look? neutral safety switch if so where is it? some kind of parking switch? ignition switch someone please help.....
There are several things it could be. If the radio and lights go out too when you do it, I would guess your battery terminals are loose and our crusty, if it makes a click sound and acts like normal but doesnt start, it could be your starter. My guess is the battery, I am pretty sure its not the neutral safety switch.

Try those and then if that doesent work, come back and post everything it does when you turn the key.

Beef

Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM

The battery is 5 weeks old. The terminal and cables and alt are a few months old. The batt tests at 13volts and 11 under a load on the tester. Thewindows lights radio an dash lights all work

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM

I would still undo and check the terminals, they can become bad or gunked up if they were not tightned all the way when it was recently installed.

Do the lights radio and windows work then you rutn the key they go out and then after a few seconds come back on?

Could be the starter has fried. Not to hard to fix and can be done on site. Make sure you take unplug your battery first..lol Had a real bad day with that one once.

Beef

Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM

looks to be the starter gonna just get it rebuilt for about 60 bucks. However when I got home it started a dozen times with no problems. Ever hear of dirt jamming it up or maybe freezing?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Yes, rocks and stuff have been known to get in there. Its not impossible but it could happen, then again they can just go bad. To have it rebuilt for 60 is great. I think a rebuilt one at the Zone is about 120.00 or so, so you can save half.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Beef