2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 PM
MikeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting troubles

99 Blazer, v6. New starter, alternator, battery. Sometimes you turn the key and it starts right up. Other times, nothing. All the dashlights come on like normal, but nothing happens, not even a click. I don't really see a pattern, except possibly cold weather, and maybe short trips. Anyone have any ideas? Thanx, Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had this same thing happen to me in my old 2000 Bravada. What it turned out to be was a bad battery. The positive post had corroded inside the battery. Sometimes it would pass enough juice to start the truck and others, nothing. But it always was enough to power the dash/radio/etc.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Could it also be a suspect ground? We have that problem with our equipment all the time.

Sometimes I sound like a broken record with "suspect ground".

Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanx guys. New battery and neg. cable. I'll check the connections again, but I doubt that's the problem. It wouldn't start all day, put on new cable, started right up. Drove around for thirty minutes, shut er down. Fifteen minutes later, won't start. not even a click. Got me baffled. This Blazer has an odd security feature. You have to activate the left turn signal in order to start her. Ever heard of this? If anyone is familiar with this feature I would like to know how to disable/uninstall it (should this be a seperate post?). Thanx again, Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Left turn signal? Weird. Us lefties are takin' over the world.
Maybe your problem is in the turn signal switch then? or how it hooks to the ignition switch?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is not a factory installed "security feature" (if that is what you want to call it). And that very well could be part of your problem. Since this is your thread, you can discuss whatever you like here.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM

According to CARFAX when I bought the Blazer (3 years ago) it had been a rental car in California at one time. I'm guessing that it was something they added. I was hoping to find someone familiar with this odd feature.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

No security system that I am aware of has such a quirk. Not that I am an expert on aftermarket security systems...

Regardless, going with the assumption that it is an aftermarket security system, there should be some additional components under the dash along with the associated wiring. We can guess all day long, but until you have a look under there and let us know what, if anything, there is additional, it will all be shots in the dark.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanx swartlkk. I'll do some under dash searching in the morning. One thing I forgot to mention is that when it doesn't start, a jump doesn't make any difference, so I don't believe that it's a battery issue.
A question for swartlkk. I see that you're an administrator. Okay if I start another thread about the turn signal security feature? Thanx, Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

That is up to you, but if these two problems are tied together...