2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

starts than dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starts than dies

Here I am camping, this morning I started it, and everything ran fine. Tonight, I attempt to go somewhere again, and it runs for about 2 seconds and dies. Fuel pump was replaced a few months ago. So, that shouldn't be a problem. I hear it prime prior to start. That's all the info I have. I have some tools with me, but limited on diagnostic aids.
Tried the search function, but get deads ends on most threads. (i know someone will find a thread with a solution, but I am camping and have limited access to internet, so please excuse my lazyness).

I mainly need to know what to diagnose.

I will check back in tomorrow morning in the A.M. after I get up. Any ideas would be helpful.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by verifying that you have sufficient fuel pressure. Sounds like you have the 60+ to start, but if the fuel filter is clogged or the pump cannot keep up with demand, it may stall the engine out. If you have some starter fluid, you could have someone spray that down into the throttle body (disconnect the MAF sensor) while you turn it over to see if it will run longer than a few seconds.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Starting Member

thanks for the ideas Kyle. I tried starting it first thing this morning and it fired right up. I drove it around the camping area for a bit, stop now and then to do a test restart. no problems since then. i texted my buddy back home thats GM certified and he highly suspects the ignition switch. hopefull it will behave Thursday for the 30 mile return trip back home.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No problem! Where are you camping? I was just up at 8th Lake Campground north of Old Forge, NY last week. No cell signal == the BEST vacation!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

We are at Bucktails in Mansfield, PA. Not too bad of a place. Lots of things for the kids to do. I guess its a good thing about the internet. I have to drive from our site to the office and sit in front of it. Have full bars on my cell phone at the site.
Yea, that would be my dream vacation too Kyle. No internet, and no cell phone, just a tent, an axe, some food, BEER, and no kids.