2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sticking E-Brake?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Irishdrums is on a distinguished road
Default Sticking E-Brake?!?!

Hi All,

I have a 1998 2 dr. blazer 4x4. I changes the front brake pads yesterday. Had the front jacked up, and when I went to engage the E-Brake foot pedal, it wouldnt stay down, it just came back up. So I pulled the release lever and it didnt sound like it released. After changing the pads, I backed out of the garage, and I got a lot of squeeking from the drivers side rear wheel, however it does not seem to be sticking at all! its not a constant squeek though, more like one spot on the rotation....and it only does it for the first few seconds driving, and when i make a right hand turn. It doesnt do it when i apply the brakes either.

Any Ideas as to what this could be, and what I can do to stop the squeek? its got rear disc breaks, and the rotors dont look too bad.

Any info helps guys... Thanks a ton!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM

I have the wheel, caliper and shoe off, but I cant get the rotor off...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

If the e-brake is released, you likely will need to heat up the rotor or hit it with a big hammer to get it off. Be prepapred to replace the rotor, and possibly the drum parts of the e-brake. Note that if you end up replacing the rotor, and you end up replacing the disk brake pads, you will likely have to replace the caliper as they typically seize (rear only) when the piston is pushed back in. It would not surprise me if your rear brakes need servicing.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Irishdrums
I have the wheel, caliper and shoe off, but I cant get the rotor off...
Not to insult, but did you remove the locking washers (2) from the wheel studs? You may have 2 locking washers that slide over the wheel studs that hold the rear rotor and drum in place. They will prevent the rotor from sliding off the studs. If the washers are not present then they were not previously reinstaled when the brakes were last serviced.

Also the parking brake cable adjustment should been under the driver side of the vehicle. You can loosen the cable and see if this will allow you to disengage the parking brake enough to remove the rotor.

Also, does your parking brake pedal "click" when you press the pedal? If it does not "click" and will not stay down it may not have anything to do with your actual parking prake shoes. There is a spring that coils as the pedal is pushed. As the spring coils it catches on a lever that is connected to the release cable. This is what holds the pedal down. The spring may have broken or slipped out of place and is not allowing the pedal to hold.

This happened to my 98 4 door. I pulled the pedal assembly bent the spring so it would catch and now the pedal holds. I pulled the rear rotors and the parking brake shoes were fine.

If you loosen the parking brake cable to get the rotors off ensure you readjust the parking brake with the tires off. This will make adjustment easier to identify proper adjustment. Push the pedal down 4 clicks, adjust till there is a slight drag as you spin the rear hub assembly. Once achieved you should be good.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Wrenchturner= thanks for posting.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member
neospyder is on a distinguished road

To chime in on the e brake problem, if the brake is engaging, just not staying that way when you let off the pedal I have a suggestion. I fixed mine by getting under the dash and spraying the assembly liberally with wd40 and manually working all the moving parts. Been several months now and it still is going strong. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM

No worries Guns. Glade to help. Its all about learning from our other brotherens headaches.

Irish, anything on a fix for your e-brake?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Well, never got the rotor off, however it does look like it needs to be replaced soon...anyways, I took the caliper, and shoe off, and checked the pads, put them back and that seemed to help, but now I am getting a sparatic hum from the drivers rear. I have no idea what this might be, and that seems to be the only issue, there is no grinding or sticking that i can feel, nothing except for that sparatic hum/drone... i have not looked at the ebrake pedal, but i found where the cable attaches to the drum...little lever on the wheel, it seemed to pull in and out?? whats that about?

Thanks guys for the input/help thus far, this is a great resource for know-nothing such as my self,

I appreciate it!

Irish

Old 05-28-2011, 01:37 PM

I didnt notice any lock washers...would they be on the lug in between the wheel and rotor? if so, could that cause the rotor the be off axis possibly sparaticly rubbing the pads?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Irishdrums
I didnt notice any lock washers...would they be on the lug in between the wheel and rotor? if so, could that cause the rotor the be off axis possibly sparaticly rubbing the pads?
The locking washer would be over the lug and would be between the back of the wheel and before the rotor.

I0---()

I= Brake rotor and parking brake drum.
0= locking washer over the lug.
---= lug or stud the lug nuts go on.
()= wheel off of the lugs as if removed

Sorry for the dummy picture but I dont have a picture for you. Hope my attempt at a diagram isn't to confusining.

It meshes against the parking brake drum. It is not of significant size to cause an offset or ballance issue. It just keeps the rotor and drum assembly from pulling off. If you remove the wheel and look at the wheel lugs you cant miss it if they are there. Otherwise, you should just see the lugs coming through the parking brake drum holes.

If you have any rubbing of the pads it is most likely a sticking caliper. Drive and apply the brakes. Get out and smell the wheel/brake. If it smells like burnt brakes or you can feel significant heat coming from the brake area it is a sticking caliper. If you spit through the rim onto the drum and it sizzels, defenently a sticking caliper. You can spray water through if needed. However, spiting is my personnal poor boy diagnostics.

As for the parking brake "little lever at the wheel" and it moving in and out, that is what actuates the parking brake. When the pedal is pressed it pulls the cable attached to the lever. This spreads the parking brake shoes against the inside of the drum. Which applies the brake. Release the pedal and the cable returns the lever to its rest position deactivating or releasing the parking brake shoes on the inside of the brake drum.

Last edited by wrenchturner3529; 05-31-2011 at 02:57 AM.