2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stumped, really need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
Naydog101 is on a distinguished road
Red face Stumped, really need advice

I have a 2 door 98 blazer and the engine cut out on me. I went to the grocery store yesterday and when I went to leave I started my truck and started heading out. Before I made it out the parking lot I noticed the power steering was off, put the truck in N and tried starting it since I noticed the engine was off as well, it went off ninja like.
Well it wouldn't start, first thing I noticed the first few cranks was I couldn't hear the pump turning the key on or off. Yet after a few more attempts the pump would hum, but only when turning ignition on not off, then later I could hear both times, but it sounded different like under stress or deeper tone and low. The pump is 1-2 years old .
Today I lowered the tank enough to check some wires and connections and from what I can tell they are fine. I also preformed a prob stupid test by unhooking the line after the filter and turned the key, the pump kicked on and gas shoot out and the tone of the pump changed again, prob due to pressure release. I tried it a few times and every time gas came out though no pump sound when turning the key off. I reconnected and turned the key and the pump is sometimes coming on when turning the key on but is always coming on when turning the key off. I can hear the pump when cranking as well. So there I am, I'm stumped and don't know what to check. If it's electrical I may be screwed cause I'm not good with that stuff.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:13 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

you need to get a fuel pressure tester. Most auto parts stores rent them for free, after you put down a deposit. Just because fuel came out, doesn't mean it's got enough pressure. The injectors won't fire below like 54 psi, or somewhere around there. i'm sure Captain Hook will chime in shortly and give you more information.

What brand pump did you put in 1-2 years ago? If not a Delco or Delphi, you can probably figure on buying another one.

Also, any check engine lights, by any chance?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
you need to get a fuel pressure tester. Most auto parts stores rent them for free, after you put down a deposit. Just because fuel came out, doesn't mean it's got enough pressure. The injectors won't fire below like 54 psi, or somewhere around there. i'm sure Captain Hook will chime in shortly and give you more information.

What brand pump did you put in 1-2 years ago? If not a Delco or Delphi, you can probably figure on buying another one.

Also, any check engine lights, by any chance?
Honestly I can't remember the brand, I bought it from AutoZone I think and looking at images it may have been an airtex. As for check engine, there is no light. I'm probably gonna drag it into a shop tonight or tomorrow and have them look at it.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Airtex pumps lasts about a year at best. As said above, get a Delco unit....yes they cost alot more....but unless you like changing them out.....get a Delco unit.

Do a fuel pressure test to make sure first.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran

definitely do a pressure test before you take it to a shop. It's free, takes just a few minutes, and will tell you what exactly is going on with your fuel system.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member

So I got a pressure test done and they said low pressure and need a new pump. Are Delphi and AcDelco good choices?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM
BF Veteran

Yes! Both are the best choice for these trucks. From what I can tell, both are the OE pumps, and should last much longer than airtex/spectre junk.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

If you are planning on replacing the pump yourself be advised of the plastic tank vent at the front and on top of the tank. There is a vacuum line running to it. Let the tank down a little and pull it rearward a LITTLE and unhook the rubber hose and be careful not to break the plastic vent.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LannyL81
If you are planning on replacing the pump yourself be advised of the plastic tank vent at the front and on top of the tank. There is a vacuum line running to it. Let the tank down a little and pull it rearward a LITTLE and unhook the rubber hose and be careful not to break the plastic vent.
Good advice. I broke mine the second time I had my tank down. I was able to get a replacement at Autozone for about $17, but I think they aren't replaceable in some of the later trucks.