2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stupid fuel pump problem. Give me the secret!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 AM
btothelazer is on a distinguished road
Default Stupid fuel pump problem. Give me the secret!

I am trying to install my fuel pump and cannot get the damn thing in! It came out so easily but reinstallation seems impossible. It takes like 100 lbs of force to get it down and I still cant get the locking ring back on it. Feels like the rubber gasket is way to big, What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Check out the youtube link below,, should give you all the info you need.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Did you get the right fuel pump? I think the ones for 2-doors and 4-doors are different. When I did mine, it went in easily, no force needed. The locking ring is always a chore, but you shouldn't need to force the pump down.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:17 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I had to lube the seal to get mine to go in. Helps to have two people.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member
AKJeff64 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump..

I just did mine last week, had about the same issue with the lockring. I ended up using a couple small screwdrivers to keep the flange of the lockring under the tabs on the tank, and once I had them all kinda lined up the lockring went on a little easier. It's hard to keep even pressure on all those tabs at the same time and still twist the lockring on. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM

Just to follow up, I was using spray lube on the ring since that is what I had. I ended up putting the smallest amount of vaseline on the rubber gasket and boom, popped in. After almost a solid hour of trying to figure out WTF I was doing wrong it plopped in in seconds. Thanks everyone. but now I made the metal fuel line flex too much and it was rusty and developed a hole so I get to replace it!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM

thanks but unfortunately it rusted through where it goes above the frame and axle in the back, at a sever curve. I had to cut the old on in half to get it out, took it from the fuel filter back. Im not sure it is possible at all to put in a metal line on a two door with the body on, I dont know what to do now.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

loosen the body mounts on that side and lift the body a bit

Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Is that a proven method or your best guess? And I still cannot even find any lines for sale online. i wonder if a truck has the same lines that I can snag from the junkyard since most of the beds are off already.

Quick Reply: Stupid fuel pump problem. Give me the secret!