2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sunroof stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Starting Member
emnusbaum is on a distinguished road
Default Sunroof stuck

2000 Blazer with sunroof that won't move but also is not completely closed (rear edge of glass will not move all the way up against the roof to create a seal). Immediate need is to get it closed all the way to keep water out, is there a way to manually move the glass?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you can't manually move one. First question, does it try to move? Second question do the power windows work? Mine has a tendency to freeze up when temps get down to 40 or lower, but it tries to move.... a 20 min. drive with the heat on frees it up. (or put it in the garage) The switch goes to a module in front of the sunroof, the module powers the roof and connects to 3 limit switches within the sunroof. It's powered by the power window circuit breaker in the body relay block. If you wanted to try jumping the control switch in the overhead console dk. blue is common, brown is open and tilt down, orange is close and tilt up. One screw towards the front of the console, pulls down after that.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Starting Member
Absent is on a distinguished road

I have something similar happening.

It seems the glass is being moved from only the passenger side, while the driver side of the glass is drug. It moves very slowly, but I can push the driver side of the glass along to keep it even and it will move all the way forward until it meets flush. However, only the driver side rear of the glass pops up like it should to seal with the roof; the passenger side is left down and can't be forced up from underneath.

I figured out though, that whatever is preventing the pass. rear corner from closing moves just when the button is pressed to open. Pressing the button here sets the glass to automatically open all the way and when you go to close it again you're back in the same situation, with the pass. rear corner wedged open. So, I push the button to open it and quickly push it to close. This actually lets the glass close and seal entirely, but the pass. rear corner is somewhat loose, like what should be pushing it up isn't there.

I took the headliner down but it looks like I'll have to completely remove the whole cassette to actually get to any of the mechanisms. There just isn't any room for me to see anything thats happening.

So at this point I'm just looking for someone that knows how this thing works and can give me some pointers on figuring out what exactly is messed up here. I've never worked on a sunroof so I'm winging it. It seems, since there are problems on both sides, that there may be two malfunctions but hell if I know.