2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Surging - no rpm movement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
mdkuni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surging - no rpm movement

I can feel a surge when driving at higher speeds, about 70 mph although I have noticed it at 60 as well. Anything below that I have never felt it. The rpms stay steady and the torque converter is locked up. I tried switching out of over drive and dropping into third gear. Even with the rpm's at 3,000 doing 72 mph in third gear I can still feel the issue. The truck shifts great through the gears.

Fuel filter was replaced about 9,000 miles ago. I have a new fuel pump I will be putting in soon to fix my gas gauge and for a little preventative maintenance. Air filter was just replaced. I have never used an oiled airfilter and I have the stock intake.

Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:58 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Surging - no rpm movement

Is your transmission fluid fairly fresh, and does it smell burnt, or seem low? When you say surge is it more like a shudder?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 AM

There is no vibration. I guess another way to describe it is lunging. I can feel the truck jerk forward and back. Although it is not violent, but very noticeable.

The fluid has not been checked in about 8 months so I will double check it again. I am not hard on the truck at all and it probably only sees 10-11 thousand miles a year.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

are you absolutely sure it's in the tranny? Wonder if you or someone you know has a scan tool that you can take out on a test drive, duplicate the issue and watch the 'misfire' screen and see if it is possibly a 'slight' miss. Had one once that I thought was tranny and my tranny guy drove it and said to do the cap and rotor(they weren't too old-1000 miles or less)and whola...that did it! Just my 2 cents and today it's on sale for free! Good luck-keep us updated! JP[X(]

Old 09-22-2008, 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Peru Motors

are you absolutely sure it's in the tranny? Wonder if you or someone you know has a scan tool that you can take out on a test drive, duplicate the issue and watch the 'misfire' screen and see if it is possibly a 'slight' miss. Had one once that I thought was tranny and my tranny guy drove it and said to do the cap and rotor(they weren't too old-1000 miles or less)and whola...that did it! Just my 2 cents and today it's on sale for free! Good luck-keep us updated! JP[X(]

Thanks for the advice JP. At first I thought it may be the tranny, then when I put it in third and it was still doing it, it made me think otherwise. I plan on replacing my fuel pump this weekend. I know it is probablya long shot on this fixing the problem but atleast my guage will work again! If that is not it I may just fork over the cash and have the dealer figure out what is going on. $45 for them to trouble shoot the issue is not a bad deal.

By the way there is about 85,000 miles on the truck.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

You can go to a parts store and see if there is a stored misfire fault. I would think if it was a noticable surge it would effect the rpm some though if this was it.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 AM

You know, now that I think about it, when I first got the truck I wanted to see how she would run. I opened her up on a back road. I hit 90mph and my service engine soon light came on. I took it to a shop and had it read. It was a misfire. He cleared the code, and I never ran the truck like that again as it is something I don't normally do anyways.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
polecat is an unknown quantity at this point

another suggestion on this one as my truck does the same thing is the tc solenoid nothing wrong with the transmission but the solenoid that locks the torque converter fails and causes it to lunge like that. Mine will even get better the warmer and dryer it is outside

Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: polecat

another suggestion on this one as my truck does the same thing is the tc solenoid nothing wrong with the transmission but the solenoid that locks the torque converter fails and causes it to lunge like that. Mine will even get better the warmer and dryer it is outside
I don't believe this to be an issue as when I put it in third taking the tc completely out of play the truck still has the same problem. Unless I am missing something???

I made an appointment for next Mon. to have the dealer take a look. I will post results when I get them.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 PM
polecat is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure how accurate this is but I have been told and I believe I read it on here that the trans can use overdrive in 3rd and 4th gear as well like I said though not sure how accurate that information is though

Quick Reply: Surging - no rpm movement