2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Surging - no rpm movement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008 | 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Surging - no rpm movement

Yes, the 4L60E does have TCC lockup in 3rd gear.

Does the surging go away when you lightly tap the brakes (holding steady on the gas pedal)? If so, this would lead me to believe that the TCC (torque converter clutch) is cycling for some reason instead of staying locked up. On the newer trucks, there are varying stages of lockup which can sometimes cause this condition...

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:08 AM
mdkuni is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yes, the 4L60E does have TCC lockup in 3rd gear.

Does the surging go away when you lightly tap the brakes (holding steady on the gas pedal)? If so, this would lead me to believe that the TCC (torque converter clutch) is cycling for some reason instead of staying locked up. On the newer trucks, there are varying stages of lockup which can sometimes cause this condition...
I was wondering the same thing before you posted this. I will test that today and see what happens.

I wonder why the issue only seems to be happening at higher speeds if it is the tc. I drive to work every day at 50 mph and I do not feel it then.

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably just the power required to run at higher speeds making the clutch slip..?

Old 09-29-2008 | 06:47 PM
mdkuni is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Peru Motors

are you absolutely sure it's in the tranny? Wonder if you or someone you know has a scan tool that you can take out on a test drive, duplicate the issue and watch the 'misfire' screen and see if it is possibly a 'slight' miss. Had one once that I thought was tranny and my tranny guy drove it and said to do the cap and rotor(they weren't too old-1000 miles or less)and whola...that did it! Just my 2 cents and today it's on sale for free! Good luck-keep us updated! JP[X(]

It did not take the dealer long to find the solution. Opened the hood and sprayed some water on the lines and she was missing. Time for a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and I had the fuel injection flushed.

It will be much cheaper then I had planned. Thanks everyone for their input.

Old 09-29-2008 | 08:49 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmmm.....jp