2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Swimming in Blazer!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road
Default Swimming in Blazer!!

just wondering if anyone out there knew or has had this problem with their Blazer I've got a 1999 2 door Blazer 2 wheel drive 4.3 Vortec motor and I'm having an issue with the driver side floorboard is soaking wet. I mean I can smash my hand out on the carpet and it splashes it's so wet I know the heater core is on the other side and sometimes it leaks but why would I have water on the driver side floorboard drenched?

And one more question can I replace the compressor the AC compressor myself or do I have to have a special tool for the pressure lines my compressor is leaking freon so I guess I need to replace it any thoughts. And I'll let you know too that this Blazer set up for about 4 years and I got it running replaced a lot of stuff it's running good but I'm having a few minor problems any thoughts for Our advice would be much appreciated thank you guys and gals

This is my 99 2 dr blazer 148k 4.3 vortec

Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Two likely causes for your wet carpet are: leaking windshield or leaking drivers door seal due to damaged door hinge bushings and a sagging drivers door. Does the drivers door have to climb up the strike plate? Are the door hinge bushings crumbling?

Proper AC work requires:

Refrigerant recovery (not relevant if the system has completely leaked down)
Repair work
Pressure testing with nitrogen
Pulling a vacuum to remove all air and moisture from the system
Charging to an exact weight with a scale. using pure 134a with no oil or stop leak

Most people do not possess the proper equipment, even the minimum need for a vacuum pump.

George

Old 07-04-2020, 01:05 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Wet carpet: get a hose and a friend. You inside, friend outside holding hose in a spot for 10-15 sec while you check for dripping. Just hose, no nozzle...gentle flow....do not want to fill-up the interior.

A/C: if all the Freon is gone, then yes you can unbolt the compressor and replace it. Also replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and any O-rings on the lines that you separate. Then take to an AC shop for rest of the job. The shop can pull the system down for a couple of hours, check for leaks, add the right amount of oil and R-134a...get you cooling down.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
Default Swimming....

Thanks for your responses guys.. as far as the driver door sagging or worn out bushings, I dont think I'm having a problem there. I do know that my blazer sustained an injury on front left side qtr. panel before I bought it. So some things still are not aligned well etc.etc. I will get with a buddy and try to find my leak. Geez. that was a no brainer... but yet I didn't know of it ha!
a/c work will commence soon. Thanks for the info..
I absolutely enjoy being a member here....

Old 07-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Does it have a sunroof? I've seen several posts in the past of the sunroof drain tubes getting clogged and causing water to pool on the floor boards I even had it happen in my jetta when I first got it before I cleaned out the tube. Just another thought...

Old 07-07-2020, 03:05 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Also check below the carpet. It's a bit of work. You need to remove the A-pillar covers and the door sill covers, then you can fold the carpet back.

I've had my other Blazer leak because of a rusted joint between the firewall and the floor pan. This seam runs across the truck about 5" above the floor pan. That's slightly higher then the bend in the floor pan. You can see that through the wheel well. Sometimes the location of the seam is visible through the sprayed-on underbody protection.

Another place where it can rust through is around the cab support in that corner. That is slightly aft of the A-pillar but on the floor.
If checking with LannyL81's method which is a very good starting point, also do the grille in front of the windshield and the corner of the hood. While doing this also look under the dash.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:31 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
A/C: if all the Freon is gone, then yes you can unbolt the compressor and replace it. Also replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and any O-rings on the lines that you separate. Then take to an AC shop for rest of the job. The shop can pull the system down for a couple of hours, check for leaks, add the right amount of oil and R-134a...get you cooling down.
That's some good advice there. It's why people come here first, instead of the dealership..

Last edited by puttster; 07-12-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:28 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Another source for water to come in the passenger side footwell area is the antenna wire. It passes through a grommet, but if there's been any fiddling around under the dash or in the engine bay around where the wire passes though, that grommet can become dislodged. The water then runs right down the antenna wire and into the cab, where it drips on the floor.

Dealt with it myself on my 2004 a couple years back... My solution was to push the grommet back in and slather it in clear silicone. Haven't had a problem with it since.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:50 AM
Starting Member
Default swimm

Originally Posted by error_401
Also check below the carpet. It's a bit of work. You need to remove the A-pillar covers and the door sill covers, then you can fold the carpet back.

I've had my other Blazer leak because of a rusted joint between the firewall and the floor pan. This seam runs across the truck about 5" above the floor pan. That's slightly higher then the bend in the floor pan. You can see that through the wheel well. Sometimes the location of the seam is visible through the sprayed-on underbody protection.

Another place where it can rust through is around the cab support in that corner. That is slightly aft of the A-pillar but on the floor.
If checking with LannyL81's method which is a very good starting point, also do the grille in front of the windshield and the corner of the hood. While doing this also look under the dash.
Well the conclusion to the story... my leak was coming from 3 bolt holes at the bottom of my windshield.. the previous owner wreaked it on ty he drivers side and whoever did the paint and body work should not have been because they did a poor job... so those 3 bolt holes with no bolts in them was the culprit... I just put silicone in them and went bout my business....
Thanks for all the help guys...

Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Glad it got fixed!