2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tans Problems Help Please?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
SteveFebreze01jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Tans Problems Help Please?????

I am having some problems with my transmission. I have had intermittant problems with it where it shifted realy hard from 1st to 2nd, but that went away, an dwas never heard of again.

Anywho, i was merging to traffic(the trans started from first to second) I got on it hard and when the 1st to 2nd shift hit the truck fell on its nose and vibrated like crazy until i let off. After that had happened the trans seemed to be slipping, also it didn't want to shift to second, uh oh.... it would wait until about 2500 to 3000 to shift. I dont know whether the trans needs to be rebuilt/ replaced, but i dont really know. Frankly Automatics scare the **** out of me. Im not really sure what to do.

I dont rag on the car, and its a 4x4, i need help too, and if there is anyone in the detroit area that has a trans lying arround or knows how to rebuild them let me know please. Thankyou

Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The hard 1-2 shift could have been a warning that worse things were to come if left unattended to. Given the information you have provided, it is difficult to say what the culprit is. You may be better off getting a few estimates.

Have you had the transmission serviced? How does the fluid look/smell? Are there any codes present (check engine light)?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
SteveFebreze01jimmy is on a distinguished road

No codes are present and the fluid smells fine, and the color is fine also. This just happened the other day, so i really haven't had the time to drop the pan. For the longest time I had thought it may have been something with the u-joint in the beginning, because whenever it would down shift it would sound kie the driveshaft would be hit by a hammer, but that was only present under low-load and when i put it in reverse. The problem is that its slipping now wchich makes me beleive that its is something serious and internal.... The trans wasn't hot when it had happened, and the fluid is deffinately not burnt

But as far as it goes i can do the work to install it, its just that i need to find a trans asap, I dont know whether to go with a used or just spend the money and get a rebuilt one.