2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Temperature Control Selection Switch PROBLEM??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:04 PM
JPM
Beginning Member
JPM is on a distinguished road

maybe the actuator switch on transfer case is bad and causing the switch on the dash to keep blowing as it sucks trans fluid into the head of the dash panel and causes it to blow. It is on the drivers side of the transfer case with I believe 3 vacum lines running to it .Pull off the lvacum lines from the trans case and see if there is any fluid that drips from the vacum lines and if so the actuator switch is bad and by it from dealer as they came out with a heaver duty switch now as that was an issue with them going bad in the past.Hope this will help

Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ride_da_lightnin
ok if you are talking about the control head being the blower speed, temp control, air direction panel, I have replaced that twice already cause the hissing comes back and then again...I cant change the direction of the air. I am sorry but I do not understand what I am supposed to replace now. Yes I do understand there is a vacuum leak but as soon as I put a new one in, it is fixed...until it breaks again.
Junkyard parts right? Have you tried a new one?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member
ride_da_lightnin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have only tried junkyard yes, my next question is...Is this a common thing to have happen? If so does buying brand new make a difference? I don't wanna buy one brand new if it is just going to go again. I was just wondering if anyone has found what causes this to go bad...Is it another part or do these just wear out. Do you think it is just coincidence that two of them broke? I will probably look at getting a new one.

Last edited by ride_da_lightnin; 08-23-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
JPM
Beginning Member

check the actuator on the transfer case where the vacum lines hook onto and see if there is any kind of fluid in them before putting a new switch in.If its bad it will ruin the new switch and make sure there is no fluid in the vacum lines anywhere under the hood.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't the first that I have seen with the control module going bad, but you are the first repeat failure person. Everyone else has replaced (assume with new) and haven't been heard from again.

If you don't have fluid in the vacuum lines at the HVAC system (and you would know)... Besides, we don't even know what lightning is driving, whether it even is 4wd...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry 1998 Chevy Blazer 4WD

Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Then it comes down to whether you have a 3-button (NV233) or 4-button (NV236 w/ auto4wd option) control switch in the dash for the transfer case.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member

It has a 3 button switch...I have never seen any fluid at the HVAC system when I replaced the first two...I am going to go to the the dealer today and see if I can buy just that part, not the whole cluster...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator

You can definitely buy just that part, but you don't have to go to the dealer. The HVAC control module is available from a variety of sources online and local. RockAuto.com shows the C60 (manual controls) module for $108.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:46 PM
JPM
Beginning Member

Bought the whole cluster from the dealer for 100.00

Quick Reply: Temperature Control Selection Switch PROBLEM??