2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

And then there was white smoke...lots of it

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Starting Member
IDsteel is on a distinguished road
Default And then there was white smoke...lots of it

First things first. I have learned a lot from this website and because of the quality answers and coaching the members have provided others, I have been comfortable working on my 2000 Blazer. Thank you!

My question is to feed my curiosity as to why, all of a sudden, I got white smoke out the tailpipe and at the engine with no signs of coolant leaks, etc earlier (I suspect there were signs, but I didn't recognize any). Right now my car sits about a mile from my house until I get it towed to a repair shop (I am not up for this challenge). Prior to parking it I was taking it for a test drive after updating my fuel injector spider. Car was running great (better than I had recalled as I was troubleshooting a P0305) until I heard a noise, which sounded like I left a tool in the engine area (rattling) and then all of a sunden white smoke/steam starts pouring our of the tailpipe (along with intact coolant), and under my hood.

After reading other posts about white smoke, etc, I realize it could be a head gasket (heads were machined 2 years back after my radiator failed), or the intake gasket. Based on your expert opinions, would a gasket just let go and result in this quick infusion of coolant into the engine (oil pan is now filled with coolant)? This is totally beyond my skillset and I would appreciate any insight prior to heading to the mechanic's shop. Just to be clear, I had no evidence of smoke prior to, or any loss of coolant.

Thank you for your time!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:24 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Yes the head gasket letting go will fill the oil pan with coolant; rate depends upon how badly the gasket blew-out.

You are looking at either a complete engine rebuild or engine replacement. Coolant displaces the oil in the crank bearings and letting it sit this way only makes the crank worse.

All can be fixed, just not going to be expensive!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Starting Member
IDsteel is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. We will see what the damage all looks like tomorrow. Once it let go, I basically pulled off the road and parked it. From start to finish I am looking at about a minute of smoke time until I shut it down. I am hoping the limited time "hot" will minimize the damage.

Hoping for the best.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Its really the amount of time the coolant is actually touching the engine bearings that causes the problems. It is corrosive to bearings so with it just sitting there with the coolant in the engine oil is doing the most damage. Drain that crap quick and run some new oil in it fast.