2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Throttle Body + Changing the Butterfly

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM
myDownfall is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle Body + Changing the Butterfly

hello, im brian.. and im new.

In the throttle body in my 03 chevy blazer sl the butterfly isnt just a round butterfly, it has a piece of aluminum hanging off of it to reduce air flow. I grabbed a throttle body and butterfly from a junk yard and took it apart and cut that butterfly piece off so its just round. I also purchased a throttle body spacer which i plan to install. I was wondering if changing the butterfly is that big of a deal or if this is a good first project or not.

Also the throttle body has a little bit of metal that I can chuck up to my lathe and take a little bit off, (only because of the taper) and bore some metal out.

I believe this is a good project to do and was just wondering about the butterfly and if its too much air flow.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

my only exp with this, is that i took that "lobe" (proper name???)
and i cut it down by half...i noticed a little more kick from dead stop...no ill effects so far and its been almost a year and a plug change.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

I hear so much about this little mod..can someone post a pic of before and after the removal of this piece? Thanks!

-OSS

Old 03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Use the 'search' function for "throttle body diffuser" and read the results.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
myDownfall is on a distinguished road

(EDIT) SORRY DIDNT KNOW MY PICTURES WERE HUGE (EDIT)

Well well well, my project for the weekend has actually gone perfect. I ended up not milling out the taper from the throttle body, but thats okay because it wasnt going to make much of a difference. Although I did manage to put my blue anodized throttle body spacer and my cold air intake in along with my customized butterfly and let me tell you that this has made a HUUGE difference. When I first got my 03 LS, like she had power but the throttle responce just wasnt there. Now I can just barely set my foot on the gas pedal and she just wants to go. And the way the intake sucks air just makes it sound like a turbo. Now I cant say for sure which mod added this much power compared to the other one but I can say that the whole $130 project has been totally worth it.

I was going to take pictures of my parts prior to putting it all in but I forgot. Someone asked about a picture for the buttfly so the only things I can show you is what it looks like before because I have my installed.

If you were at your engine, and you would manually rev your engine (probably have the car off) and take off the top air filter piece and you can get a good look inside of your throttle body. As you can see that there is a lip that hangs down when stepping on the gas, holding back air flow. The picture above is the butterfly freshly pulled from the throttle body. That lip on the butterfly, I took completely off with a saw and a grinding wheel. It's really soft aluminum so I cut it down close in about 3 seconds.. cut right through it. And the rest I grinded down... being careful not to damage the roundness of the actual butterfly. It took about five minutes until I had it perfect and was really easy to clean up and install. Hope this helps..!!!!

Also, I would like to show you how my project turned out.

ALSO, IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY YOU CAN SEE THAT I ANODIZED THE TWO ALUMINUM SPACERS FOR THE PIECE THAT HOLDS THOSE TWO WIRES.

And if you guys have any questions you can reply back to this thread or email me mydownfall00@gmail.com and i will see if i can help you.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited by myDownfall; 03-27-2011 at 10:04 PM.