2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Throttle sticking in the closed position

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle sticking in the closed position

Hey everyone. I think I have the opposite problem that the Toyotas have ( without the throttle getting stuck OPEN with the violent acceleration part). I noticed this shortly after I put the Spectre Cold Air Intake in. I notice that I would have to give the throttle some more force just to get it out of the idle position and then it would move smoothly. It feels like an electromagnet is holding the throttle in the closed position. Once it got so stuck, I had to put some more force on the pedal until it became unstuck and the truck surged forward. Luckily I was in an empty parking lot. I believe the problem is in the throttle body itself. I popped the hood and tried to pull the cables. Very hard to do. Only way to move the throttle was to grab the connection point for the cables and rotate it manually. It moved smooth, but it felt like there was a magnet taking hold of the throttle as soon as I let it move back to the idle position. Then it would take a bit of force to overcome the "magnet" and then it would move. Any advice on a solution? Would I have to take off the CAI? It is bolted in fairly tight.
Also I would notice that the 3/4" tube that attaches between the engine and the top of the CAI would pop off sometimes. I already put a hose clamp on it, but could dust or something have gotten in there while the tube was off that could be causing this problem? It couldn't have been for more than 1-2 days since I check my fluids often (except when it rains. Then I don't open the hood unless absolutely necessary).
Also this may be off topic (and a dumb idea, but I'll mention it anyway), but is it possible to Seafoam the truck by pumping it into that port on the CAI instead of using a vacuum line? Someone I know told me it is possible to pour it down the throttle body, so basically the same idea, but without taking the CAI out. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

So this only started after you installed the Spectre CAI? If so, I'd remove the Spectre intake, reinstall the stock intake, and see if it continues. Buy a can of throttle body cleaner and clean the tb while the intake is off.

I used and old toothbrush and the tb cleaner ate through the toothbrush. I watched helplessly as the head of the brush fell into my engine. So don't do that.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
So this only started after you installed the Spectre CAI? If so, I'd remove the Spectre intake, reinstall the stock intake, and see if it continues. Buy a can of throttle body cleaner and clean the tb while the intake is off.

I used and old toothbrush and the tb cleaner ate through the toothbrush. I watched helplessly as the head of the brush fell into my engine. So don't do that.
Now that I think about it, it was sometimes happening before we put the CAI in. Thanks for the toothbrush tip.

EDIT: Is it safe to spray anything into the throttle body to clean it like WD-40 or would I risk hydrolocking the engine?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-14-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Just go get a can of throttle body cleaner.

If you've got a ratchet and a 10mm deep socket, you can reove the throttle body. It makes cleaning it much easier.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:06 AM

I don't know how to explain it, but it isn't doing it anymore. I just took it for a couple drives and the pedal wasn't sticking at all. Maybe it is an on/off thing that only happens in certain conditions. Haunted truck. At least it isn't 100% electronic and all the bad stuff happening to Toyota throttles cannot happen to the Blazers because not much can cause problems with a cable.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:34 AM
Beginning Member
jameskerley is on a distinguished road

Please don't ever use WD40 on any throttle parts!!! it will dry into glue.