2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

tie-dyed Q-ball

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
freeblecorn is on a distinguished road
Default tie-dyed Q-ball

I no longer have any hair left to pull out and I am exhaused from hitting my head against the wall
I have been crusing arround the forum since I got the beast (98 blazer) almost 1.5 years ago at auction
there have been many helpful things I have discovered, but i can't figure the dang thing out
originally it would fun fine untill you gave it the gas (passing or up a steeper grade) then it would sputter and almost quit (occasionaly it would quit) but it would start up again, no worries
that was until this spring, it got progressively harder to start, then no start. I was checking on what the possible issues were and after a while of watching it sit I decided to tackle what I thought it was, the fuel pressure regulator. When I got to it, there was an ugly spider staring me in the face, (as well as what appeared to be a leaking FPR) so, as I was planing on changing to MFI, I replaced the whole thing. Worked like a charm, started right up, ran smooth and I could pass etc... for about a month. Then the deterioration started again, but at an accelerated pace... first the hills and then hard to start, and now it has sat AGAIN for another 3 wks.
I also changed the fuel filter (unhooked the batery) and it started up once
Fuel pressure seams ok.. up to 60 psi, however with waiting 10 min it does decrease to about 50
I also checked for spark and all seam "normal".... I think
I checked with the blinky lightup thing and all plugs looked the same...smaller flashes with a larger intermittant flash
I also checked the codes and got the dreaded P0304 code
I have tried to go thu the lists for the "P030x" and the "will not start", but to no avail
I don't have access to a garage
what evaluation tools are suggested to have in an arsenal for a Blazer?
what sensors are recommended to evaluate (order and how)
any inspiration that I might hang my hat on (instead of my premature bald and bruised head)?
I can follow my nose mechanically usually (love the 84 benz) but I am at a loss with all the electronics
thanks

Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a look at the ignition system. Have you removed the ICM and ignition coil and had them tested? If you haven't done a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor - maybe the upstream O2 sensors), now would be a good time. It also wouldn't hurt to clean the EGR, MAF, and throttle body.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

tune up was done dec 09
I'll give a look at the other components mentioned
thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I C your from NY - Upstate or Long Island? If you were near me i`d come give ya a hand trying to fix the problem,.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

western fingerlakes area, Belfast.
as an update, I took the ICM and coil to autozone and they could only check the coil and not very thoroughly
the secondary resistance was in range but the primary resistance didn't register anything
I was going to try advanced today but ran out of time before work

Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It seems stores that can test the ICM and coil are hit or miss anymore.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 AM

the ignition coil and ICM check OK
on to more trouble shooting

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

got it all back to gether and checkes spark this time with one that can be set to the plug gap and it looked fine
then I reevaluated the injectors and they lookes fine as well
while i was in there I swapped out the FPR
still nothing
tried starter fluid ... nothing
I was under the impression that if you had spark and fuel that you should run
I was under the impression that timing wasn't an issue as it is computer controlled
could there be something with the injector timing or cam timing??
thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 PM

an update
took it in for some diagnostics
timing is off and 1 or more cylinders have a hole
huge low end pressure which backfires thru the intake
the recommendation??? get a new motor
anyone interested in a 98 s10 with no rust and no motor???