2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Totalled Blazer, Still Driveable short distances, whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Starting Member
sillared is on a distinguished road
Default Totalled Blazer, Still Driveable short distances, whats it worth?

Hi Guys and probably a few Gals

Had the unfortunate opportunity to total my blazer the other day, and I`m trying to get a feel for what it might be worth other than the $400 Salvage value the Ins wants to give me if i keep it. I`m looking to sell it as a whole as the following:

96 s-10 2 door blazer forest green 4x4
210k on body, 30k on motor, no leaks other than the usual oil line, which is minimal
2 sets of tires-rims mounted balanced, one summer set on alloy rims good for 2 more summers, 1 winter specific set good for 2-3 more winters. total of 2 sets of tires-rims.
Updated injector kit,
New gas tank-fuel pump, ball joints-alignment etc, MAFS sensor, both front wheel bearings in the last year.
New rear shocks a couple months ago
Only known problems other than the crunch on the front drivers side quarterpanel-bumper is the rear wiper motor and ac doesnt work.. Drivers side lock switch sometimes picky, but locks operate perfect with fob. Doors starting to rust slightly inside.
Truck is driveable short distance, but pulls hard to right.. aka easily loadable on flatbed etc.. No fluid leaks since accident. 4wd still works

Whats somethin like this worth to someone as a fixer upper or parts truck?
Years ago I remember a junked 4x4 with a good drivetrain was worth $1000 with a working motor.. Is that still true?

Doing some vehicle shopping, and not sure if I want to get another blazer, or get something a bit easier on parts-fuel... Are there any particular years of blazer that are better than others, keeping in mind that if I get another one, it will be a used one in the 3500 to maybe $6000 range. Any to stay away from? Common problems in these years?
Any input is most appreciated...
Eric

Attached Thumbnails Totalled Blazer, Still Driveable short distances, whats it worth?-img_9869.jpg   Totalled Blazer, Still Driveable short distances, whats it worth?-img_9874.jpg   Totalled Blazer, Still Driveable short distances, whats it worth?-img_9873.jpg  

Last edited by sillared; 03-08-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Well looking at the pictures...

1. Radiator Shroud.... 20 bucks (top piece)
2. Fender.................40 bucks (junkyard crawl)
3. Hood....................70-100 bucks (junkyard crawl)

Thats all that I see that she would need... now thats less than 200 bucks if you can turn a wrench yourself... if not... Other than that if you really wanted to sell it, I think if the 4x4 worked great... I would be willing to steal it from you... and make a trail rig...

I think you SHOULD NOT junk it.... Where you located?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Starting Member
sillared is on a distinguished road

Eau Claire WI.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree...that doesn't look worth trashing at all. Was the frame bent at all?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Man... take 100 bucks for it? lolz

Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

You will make a lot more $ parting it out than selling the whole thing outright, but I'd say it's worth at least $1000. If it has a salvage title I'd say fix it- if they're giving you a certificate of destruction the only thing you can do with it is use it for parts. Just start taking it apart and list things for sale on here or craigslist. Once you've sold everything you can get a sawzall with a demolition blade, cut it up into smaller pieces, throw it in the back of a pickup and sell it for scrap metal (not that I've ever done anything like that