2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trailor wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailor wiring question

99 Blazer zr2. I have a 7 pin connector wired to my truck but it was exposed to weather and 2 of the pins have corroded and fallen off. There are 4 wires leading to the connector, yellow, green, blue and black. I want to swap in a adaptor I found that has a 7 pin and a 4 pin spliced off it. It has 4 wires that are a bit thicker guage...white(ground), yellow, green and black.

Couple questions... how can i test which wires on the truck match which of the 4 wires on my adaptor? Shouldnt' there be more than 4 wires feeding a 7 pin connector? Will this adaptor I got even work?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trailor wiring question

Depends on whether you have the HD harness or the regular harness. The HD harness will have all 8 wires (wire colors are specified in your owners manual), but the regular harness will only have the 6 wires.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Starting Member

I dont' havean owners manual. So the fact I see 4 wires likely means i have the regular harness? In order to figure out which wires are which I can use my multimeter on each wire and turn on the signals and brake lights to see when they get power?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Search> Wiring for Towing < My post in that thread should cover it for you.

For a digital copy of your owners manual, you can go to https://apps.gmcanada.com/

Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Search> Wiring for Towing < My post in that thread should cover it for you.

For a digital copy of your owners manual, you can go to https://apps.gmcanada.com/

Trailer Wiring Harness
The light-duty trailer wiring is a six-wire harness assembly. The optional heavy-duty trailer wiring is an eight-wire harness assembly. The harnesses are stored under the vehicle, along the passenger-side frame crossmember on two-door vehicles or on the driver’s side corner frame rear crossmember on four-door vehicles. The heavy-duty trailer wiring is fused in the engine compartment fuse block. See Fuses and Circuit Breakers on page 5-88. Both harnesses have no connector and should be wired by a qualified electrical technician. The technician can use the following color code chart when connecting the wiring harness to your trailer.
[ul][*]Dark Blue: Use for electric trailer brakes or auxiliary wiring (eight-wire harness only).[*]Red: Use for battery charging; it connects to the starter solenoid (eight-wire harness only).[*]Light Green: Back-up lamps.[*]Brown: Taillamps and parking lamps.[*]Yellow: Driver’s side stoplamp and turn signal.[*]Dark Green: Passenger’s side stoplamp and turn signal.[*]White: Ground wire.[*]Light Blue: Auxiliary stoplamp.[/ul]

Securely attach the harness to the trailer, then tape or strap it to your vehicle’s frame rail. Be sure you leave it loose enough so the wiring doesn’t bend or break, but not so loose that it drags on the ground. Store the harness in its original place. Wrap the harness together and tie it neatly so it won’t be damaged
So the fact I only see 4 wires suggests 2 more are hidden, and the 7 pin that was connected to my truck probably wasn't connected properly? EDIT: And theres' definitely no white wire(grnd) going to the connector.

I am signed up on the GM Canada site and cannot find the owners manuals to download.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Ah, well, that is supposed to be the same thing as MyGMLink.com, but obviously it isn't.

CLICK HERE for the 1999 Blazer Owners Manual. You may want to try the new yahoo based GMOwnerCenter site although I cannot seem to add another vehicle. The old MyGMLink.com worked very well. Now Yahoo has screwed it all up and bloated it to the point of ruin!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Starting Member

Sweet thanks. I'll dig into the wiring harness some more and see what i've got.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Starting Member

Just to put a period on this thread for those searching after me... i connected the 4 wires, yellow, brown, green and blue(left turn, tail lights, right turn and brakes) to the 7 pin connector according to the diagram on the back of the connector package, verified against the gm colour code in my owners manual and voila it works!

Thanks for all the help.