2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny Fluid Loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Major Pain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Fluid Loss

Ok I got a 99 4x4. Over xmas weekend I was on my way to OKC from Little Rock in the middle of the nite and had smoke coming out from under the truck. It lost power and I pulled over. I popped the hood and had smoke coming from under the hood next to the firewall and smoke coming out from under the center of the vehicle. Had oil dripping and it was cold and black. Engine oil was full but no tranny fluid. I got it towed back home and pressured washed underneath and all and topped the fluid again. Ran it for awhile and no leaks but slips some. Noticed coolant loss but not getting into the engine. If I'm correct, there is a tranny vent tube next to the check stick. Is it possible that the fluid was coming from there? I'm trying to find some solutions to this without dropping the tranny or getting a new one which will run me around $1200.00. If I do drop it I will be replacing all the lines , radiator. torque converter. transfer case seal and anyother ones I can get to. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny Fluid Loss

Could have a tranny cooler line broken inside the radiator tank...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your trany fluid again. If it looks milky then you are getting coolant into the trany. Which would mean the trany cooler is cracked in the radiator. Got to remember the oil and trany fluid go threw the radiator due to factory coolers are inside the radiator.

Cheapest fix for this is to install external coolers and put plugs in the in/out ports of the radiator. Correct fix would be to replace the radiator (but I still would go with external coolers).

Old 01-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Major Pain is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to replace the radiator either way. I know thats where the coolant loss is coming from but doesn't explain why all my tranny fluid blew out. It wasn't milky and the only place I can figure out is that it blew through the vents but trying to explain why . Was hoping someone on here could help me sort this out before I go dropping the tranny and start replacing every seal on the entire driveline. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living and my time is limited to fix this thing and with the economy hurting my industry right now so is my income. Figured around $350 in parts compared to $1200 for a new one that I'd be better off doing it myself in a weekend.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

check your tranny fluid again. What color and does it smell?
You may have lost fluid through one of the gaskets. Happens when they are worn and your pushing the truck hard. Teh smoke no doubt was from the tranny fluid dripping on the hot exhaust.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:36 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the transfer case fluid level, sometimes the seal between the tranny and case will leak and let fluid into the transfer case....easy way to find out is to pull the upper plug..if it comes running out then that would lead me to think that that is your problem (front t-case seal - rear tranny seal)