2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny visual display issue. Help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny visual display issue. Help???

Hello again....I have a 98 Chevy Blazer 4 door that I just bought a couple months ago and there is still one problem left that I cannot figure out. It seems that the gear shift display on the cluster is one off of what it should be. When it's in park, it is in park, but Reverse is between the P and R, neutral is actually the R on the cluster display, drive is actually the N on the cluster display....and so on. It seems as though everything, except P, has shifted over 1 position to the left. Normally, I really wouldn't care, it's just the reverse lights will stay on when the vehicle is in neutral because the cluster's gear display is on R. The big problem with this is that when I the vehicle really is in Reverse, the reverse lights will not go on since the cluster display isn't on the R.

I hope I have explained this good enough. It is pretty straight forward.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. If I have to take it in to get it fixed, oh well, I just want to know how big of a problem this is to fix first.

Thanks in advance.

Wolv2401

Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny visual display issue. Help???

On the (drivers) side of the transmission is a stamped steel switch plate held on by 2 bolts with slotted holes in the plate, either it loosened up and moved or the switches are going bad. (votes for #1) That controls your gear indicator, reverse lights, park/neutral start switch. If you see wear marks where the bolts used to be set start by adjusting it back to that. Another (unlikely) possibility is the cable broke or is stretching (kinda cheesy plastic near where the cable snaps into the bracket, do NOT pull onthe shift cable). how does if "feel" shifting into park? solid?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your truck has the electronic display (as opposed to the mechanical pin) right? Then I would agree that it is probably the transmission position switch/sensor.

Adjustments
  • Check the switch for proper operation.
  • The engine must be in the P (Park) or N (Neutral) positions only. If adjustment is required, loosen the switch retaining bolts and rotate the switch slightly.
  • Tighten the bolts and check the switch for proper operation.
  • Repeat the switch adjustment procedure until the engine starts when the shift lever is positioned in park and neutral.
  • If improper operation continues refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement.
Here's a pic for ya:

Old 01-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Beginning Member
wolv2401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, it feels solid when I go into park, just like the rest of the gears. I will check for that switch plate and see if it is just loose. Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks again for your help swartlkk. I think my quest may be over now. Good job.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Kellen is an unknown quantity at this point

my console shifter is doing this. is there any harm in just leaving it? i know what gear i'm in, so it really makes no difference to me what it displays.