2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

trans squeal after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Starting Member
mrajr12691 is on a distinguished road
Default trans squeal after brake job

Hello everyone im a newbie here, created this profile in hopes that some of you familer/experts can lend some helping information.

working on my grandfathers 2003 blazer 4DR 4x4 4.3 auto, he had a caliper dragging real bad in the rear, i did pads, rotors and calipers + brackets on both rears, took it for a ride and have a herandous squeal.

thought it was either new pads/ebrake shoes wearing in to the new rotors. upon inspection this is the scenario I have:

when truck in neutral, ONE rear tire on the ground, when i turn the driveshaft i have this squeal, coming from inside the TRANSMISSION, with both tires off the ground, NO squeal, with both tires on the ground and driving in all ranges, D/R + coasting in neutral, crazy squeal.

trans fluid is perfectly clean and at the exact level.

I have no explaination or ideas to what the heck could have happened to it, PLEASE if anyone has some info I'm desperate, need this beast for a few days since i totaled my car last week, thank you very much

Old 12-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Starting Member

*and id like to add that the tranny did not make any noises before I did the rear brakes*

Old 12-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you absolutely sure that it is coming from the transmission or transfer case?

When I replaced the rear brakes on my old '00 Bravada I had a horrible squeal after I was done. It squealed from both sides. The noise was so loud that it was initially hard to pinpoint the location. The cause was the pad shims on the rear caliper brackets. They were bent in touching the rotor. A little time with a long, narrow screwdriver and the noise was gone.

As you said, you only worked on the rear axle, nothing with the transmission or transfer case.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Starting Member

To answer your question the sound is 100% NOT coming from the brakes.

What I have determined this afternoon is that when I was turning the rear wheels individually adjusting the park brake shoes something happened to the rear diff, clutch packs/whatever it has in there, because it will squeal anytime one wheel is turning faster than the other but will fade away as I straiten out. The sound has to be traveling thru the hollow driveshaft and sound like trans. I will be pulling the diff cover on Sunday and update the thread with my findings.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So it is not coming from the transmission or transfer case either then, rather from the differential itself, correct?